Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

First TM Backup on New Mac Mini Not enough space error

I just got my new M1 Mac Mini with Big Sur. I have the 500GB SSD loaded. I installed a new 1TB external SSD to serve as the Time Machine. I formatted the drive and try to do the first backup. After about 15 mins the time machine stops and says it can't complete because the dive does not have enough space.

Again, the Time Machine is a new drive with 1TB available and the Mini SSD is only 500GB so there should be more than enough space. I notice that this happens with Big Sur. I have several other i-macs running Catilina and my TM is always double the size of the internal HD and I never had these issues.

Is there something going on with Big Sur and TM that is a known issue?

Any help is appreciated. Thank you in advance

Posted on Apr 3, 2021 3:49 AM

Similar questions

23 replies

Apr 3, 2021 7:29 AM in response to davidvignola

davidvignola wrote:

I formatted the drive and try to do the first backup.

How did you format the External Drive for Time Machine.

It sounds like maybe the external drive did not get reformatted properly.

Open Disk Utility > select the External Drive > select Erase > Name the Drive > select Mac OS Extended (Journaled) for the Format > select GUID Partition Map for the Scheme > Click Erase.

Apr 4, 2021 5:41 AM in response to lkrupp

Thanks, everyone for your help. So, after reading all the responses I re-did the process. See all the attached screenshots. I reformatted the drive and you can see there is 1TB of available space. Then I ran the time machine to back up for the first time. It gets through backing up but never finishes. It hangs up with 2 minutes left then it says there is not enough space. you can see the last image with the error message. Something is wrong here for sure. This did not happen with Catalina. I don't know why Apple needs to change all these things every time they release a new OS.

Apr 3, 2021 5:05 AM in response to woodmeister50

before I start the first backup it says the drive has 999GB available. Then as it's doing that first backup, once it stops because there is not enough space it says I have less than 3GB available, so it's clearly running out of space.

What I don't understand is that the internal SSD drive its backing up is only 500GB so how can a 1TB drive not be enough space? It seems like the backup process is trying to back it up twice in a row and that's why it's running out of space maybe?

The other thing is that on my mini SSD even though it's a 500GB drive only 66GB is being used.

Apr 3, 2021 11:20 AM in response to den.thed

I am on Mac mini M1 that has Big Sur and as soon I select the drive to be used for Time Machine it reformats it automatic to APFS. Then I deselect the disk to use with Time Machine and reformat it to MacOS Extended (Journaled) and then I go to TM and select this disk to use with TM. Then TM is preparing the drive and after that I see in Disk Utility that is formatted as APFS.

On article you posted to me it says "If the disk is a Mac OS Extended format disk that contains an existing Time Machine backup, you aren’t asked to erase and reformat the disk." so if the disk contains an existing TM backup you cann use it as TM backup but if you select another new disk that has no TM it will reformat it to APFS.

Apr 3, 2021 11:52 AM in response to nfilipek

The first image is a drive that I'm already using for Time Machine.

The second image is a new drive just out of the box, that I named TM 2.

Yes depending on the version, Time Machine will ask and/or automatically convert the drive.

At this point, this has nothing to do with the OP's (original poster's) problem, because it sound like the drive it not proper formatted for Time Machine to use or convert.

Apr 3, 2021 12:08 PM in response to davidvignola

Big Sur will always format to APFS. It is new with Big Sur as it

is supposedly leveraging the snapshot features of APFS for

backups.

FWIW, I have a M1 MacBook Air since end of November with a 500GB

external SSD and all that time, it has used 380 GB with 190 GB of it

purgeable.

With that said, something is certainly running amok on your system.

Just out of curiosity, do you have other external drives connected?

Unless told not to, Time Machine backs up those as well.

For my purposes, Time Machine is only used for last resort system recovery,

but primarily for incremental app update/upgrade reversal and brain clouds.

All my data is backed up/archived completely separately.

Apr 4, 2021 8:56 AM in response to den.thed

I went through and did what you suggested and the same exact thing happens. This is insane. I have owned so many macs over the years and never had an issue like this. I am so ****** at Apple for constantly changing a million things every new OS that it makes me want to go back to Windows. I am sick of spending have my life on user forums trying to figure out what used to be so simple with Apple products.

Apr 4, 2021 11:25 AM in response to den.thed

yea, basically I give up. I don't have a lot of data on this machine I just backed it up to dropbox and I won't use the time machine. 3 days o dealing with this issue is enough for me. I get more and more disenchanted with Mac as the year's pass. What used to be so incredibly simple and plug-and-play has turned into the same thing that made me leave Windows all those years ago. Nothing is simple anymore. I wish I could have just got a new computer that ran Serria which ran perfectly, no issues and no crap like this. Oh well, thanks to everyone for trying to help.

Apr 4, 2021 12:57 PM in response to davidvignola

Give this a shot, do the reformat but do not turn on Time Machine.

Then reboot into Safe Mode. While in safe mode start up a first

Time Machine backup while in safe mode and see what happens.

There could very well be some third party app/driver that may be telling Time Machine

things are constantly changing. Also, booting into Safe Mode will also clean out

and "crud" that may be in caches and such.

Needless to say, there is something quite wrong on your system that is causing

Time Machine to go ballistic. Everyones system is unique in someway and if

this was an endemic problem, these pages would be full of the issue. We just need

to find what is not playing nice.

It may also help, if you download Etrecheck from the MacApp Store, run it,

and post the results here. we may spot something or it may uncover something

itself as an issue. (use the "additional text icon at the bottom pf these windows

to post your results.)

Apr 4, 2021 1:22 PM in response to davidvignola

Just to add one more possibility, do you have another drive laying around

you can try? For the purpose of this test it doesn't really matter what

kind just so it is large enough. Want to rule out the possibility that it

is not the T5. Also, you didn't say how you were connecting? USB-C

or the regular USB-A? Which ever port you are using try the other.

While the T5 may be good in and of itself, the older controller in it

may possibly not be playing nicely with the new hardware.

Apr 4, 2021 1:56 PM in response to woodmeister50

yep. I had a 1TB HHD usb drive. I formatted it and tried t use it with the same issue. There si clearly something in Big Sur causing this issue. It's a brand new computer, less than 2 weeks old. I have had this issue since the first day I tried to add a time machine to the system. So, straight out of the box it's not working. Other than this issue the computer runs great so I am giving up on the whole TM thing. It's not worth the aggravation

First TM Backup on New Mac Mini Not enough space error

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.