Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

My new M1 PC battery only charges up to 80%.

Why won’t my new M1 battery charge completely? I’m sure it’s a self inflicted wound caused by a novice user. If been googling and searching for solution without much luck. It’s a new Mac less than one with it’s new owner.

MacBook Air

Posted on Apr 3, 2021 6:49 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 3, 2021 7:29 AM

hi P.Phillips, Thank you for your great response. LOL, I’m amazed at the battery life even at 80%. I’m a recent Mac immigrant and this issue was renting space in my head. With your input I was able to find the following http://www.apple.com/batteries/. It’s my hope that others find it helpful. Kind regards, Rpmanning64

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 3, 2021 7:29 AM in response to PRP_53

hi P.Phillips, Thank you for your great response. LOL, I’m amazed at the battery life even at 80%. I’m a recent Mac immigrant and this issue was renting space in my head. With your input I was able to find the following http://www.apple.com/batteries/. It’s my hope that others find it helpful. Kind regards, Rpmanning64

Apr 3, 2021 7:04 AM in response to Rpmanning64

The New Big Sur OS has an Algorithm built into the OS to monitor the Battery Usage. It is semi-well known that Apple is attempting to Extend the life of Batteries and Reduce the Full Battery Cycles. In so doing - it is normal for the Charger to be attached and the computer will charge to about 80% and Pause. If you check the Battery icon on Desktop - one will see this Pause to Charge. The User can over-ride this , by the same icon , and un-Pause the charging process. Though, if one looks closely - it will probably Pause again at 90%. User can again over-ride by same method until it charges to 100%.

The side affect of above will increase the number of Full Battery Cycles and in effect less the life of the battery.

Personally - on my MBA M1 and MBA Intel 2018 Retina - I leave Big Sur to decide when to fully charge and when to Pause. That is personal Preference and not for all.

My new M1 PC battery only charges up to 80%.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.