Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Unable to maintain my wireless printer connection

While I have had to reset my HP 8020 printer occasionally in the past, to maintain wireless connection, suddenly, starting just a couple of days ago I now need to do it at least once every day. How do I fix this? I'm running BigSur 11.2.3 on my iMAc. My iMac (and my wife's iMac, the printer, modem and router are all in the same room and. with the exception of my wife's iMac that's perhaps 10 ft away, all equipment is within a 4 ft circle.

iMac 21.5″, macOS 11.2

Posted on Apr 3, 2021 10:06 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 3, 2021 11:41 AM

Please do the following in this order:

·Uninstall all HP software, put in the Trash and empty the Trash.

·Please reset the printing system per Reset the Mac printing system to solve a problem

·Next, follow the instructions in Adding a printer

12 replies

Apr 3, 2021 10:41 AM in response to bob.m

Is this issue with this printer staying connected to your local Wi-Fi network or with each of your your Macs with that same network? It appears from your post, that it is the former. Is that correct? If that is the case, and if none of your Macs are having issues with connecting, the issue may just be with the printer alone.

To help with the troubleshooting, we would need to know the make & model of your wireless printer. In addition, do you have any Bluetooth devices nearby, or directly connected to, either the Macs or the router?

You may also find this HP Support article helpful:

https://support.hp.com/us-en/product/hp-officejet-pro-8020-all-in-one-printer-series/24208622/document/c06426749

Apr 3, 2021 11:07 AM in response to Tesserax

Thanks much for your quick response, Tesserax.

It's a case of both mine and my wife's iMacs staying connected to our local wifi network, I have both 2.4 and 5.0, and generally use 5.0 for all connections. I really don't see much difference either way. I don't have any Bluetooth devices nearby or connected directly to the Macs or router, except for an Echo in the living room (some distance away) which is connected to the local network.

My printer is an HP 8020 Series.

Apr 3, 2021 11:12 AM in response to Tesserax

I also should have mentioned that when this disconnect first started to happen occasionally, I would first go through the steps of shutting down the computer and turning it back on or, alternatively, pulling the printer plug for 30 seconds and then reconnecting. Now I don't bother with those steps as it is quicker to simply Reset the Printer in either or both of our macs. Sometimes both Macs are affected, sometimes just one or the other. I have also restarted my Mac just to be sure, too.

Apr 3, 2021 11:19 AM in response to bob.m

bob.m wrote:

Thanks much for your quick response, Tesserax.

It's a case of both mine and my wife's iMacs staying connected to our local wifi network, I have both 2.4 and 5.0, and generally use 5.0 for all connections. I really don't see much difference either way.

FWIW, a 5 GHz Wi-Fi signal would have more difficulty traversing through obstacles, like walls and is "best" used with the wireless clients being in the same room.

Unable to maintain my wireless printer connection

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.