Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Brother Printer searches for WiFi about every 4 hours.

My Brother HL-L2360DW is connected wireless to my M1 iMac running Big Sur 11.4. It prints fine, but approximately every four hours it cycles and reconnects to my WiFi. I removed and reinstalled the printer from sys prefs, but that did not help. Any ideas how to fix this?

Posted on Jul 6, 2021 7:38 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 6, 2021 8:28 PM

Please do the following in this order:

·Uninstall all Brother software, put in the Trash and empty the Trash.

·Please reset the printing system per Reset the Mac printing system to solve a problem

·Next, follow the instructions in Adding a printer

14 replies

Jul 6, 2021 9:35 PM in response to Bruce Kieffer

Hi,

The HL-L2360DW is a printer supporting the driverless AirPrint technology.

About AirPrint - Apple Support

To begin with, you may want to try the following procedure: Power off the router, the printer, the computer, and all other devices/computers. Wait two to three minutes. Power on the router. Wait two to three minutes. Power on the printer. Wait a minute or two. Power on the computer. Finally, power on all other devices/computers.

Also, this article could perhaps be of interest:

https://help.brother-usa.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/73618/~/compatibility-with-5-ghz%2C-dual-band-wireless-router%2C-or-mesh-networks

If applicable, check whether it is possible to, temporarily, configure the router to use 2.4 GHz only. Alternatively, use an old 2.4 GHz-only router, just for a test. Any difference?

Jul 7, 2021 12:24 PM in response to Jan Hedlund

So far it is working fine today. Go figure! The info on the Brother page listed above says the printer cannot see a 5GHz network. I have mine connected to my 5GHz and it does print. It also says there's a known issue with EERO routers. I have a T-Mobile Internet Gateway (made by Nokia). This reconnecting issue is not a deal breaker. I can print, it's just annoying that it looks for the WiFi every so often, but not today.

Jul 7, 2021 1:21 PM in response to Bruce Kieffer

Thank you for the information.

Is it the following gateway?

https://www.t-mobile.com/support/public-files/attachments/T-Mobile%20High-Speed%20Internet%20Gateway%20End%20User%20Guide.pdf

If so, it appears to be using three Wi-Fi radio bands (2.4 GHz, 5 GHz low, 5 GHz high). Page 23: "The gateway automatically steers client devices to the best band and channel combination for most situations."

If the problem persists, could an Ethernet connection between the gateway and the HL-L2360DW possibly be an alternative?

Jul 7, 2021 1:48 PM in response to Bruce Kieffer

Good to hear that it is working.

>If things get bad I can connect with USB.

Yes, but AirPrint requires a network connection (Wi-Fi or Ethernet for this printer). For USB, drivers would be needed, and Brother does not provide any for macOS Big Sur. A printer driver for macOS Catalina has been known to work with a number of Brother printers, though.

https://support.brother.com/g/b/downloadlist.aspx?c=us_ot&lang=en&prod=hll2360dw_us&os=10065

Jul 12, 2021 6:54 AM in response to Jan Hedlund

I had to reconnect my Brother printer to my Mac and this time I did use my 2.4GHz network. Things are working fine so far. FYI to anyone setting up a Brother printer like mine with a short on-board one line display. Download the Brother printer setup wizard utility. It is WAY faster and there will be less screaming when you goof up entering your WiFi password!

Brother Printer searches for WiFi about every 4 hours.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.