Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can not copy photos libraries to external drive.

I had lots of problems with the old external drive thus I decided to back it up and then copy all to new faster external drive.

I copied old IPhoto library to new external drive and than tried to copy one of Photos libraries (have two). Though I keep getting a message:

The volume can not be copied as identical exists, the disk does not recognize capital vs small letters.

The Names of the libraries are not the same.

Even the kind is different as one is Photo and other is Photos Library.

Copied: iPhoto Library.photolibrary

Unsuccessfully copying Photos Library 2. photoslibrary

These are system/ Photos generated names. I Got the idea of changing the same but that option is not available.

My external drive is properly formatted (Mac Os Extended (Journaled) and I think has all needed permissions and tons of space.

Any idea how to transfer these libraries and be able to use them afterwards?

Thanks

iMac Line (2012 and Later)

Posted on Apr 3, 2021 11:32 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 5, 2021 3:19 PM

So your first problem is that the new drive is not formatted correctly. (If the ignore ownership option is not there, then it is not a format compatible with Photos library.

Your second problem is that you are copying from a case sensitive drive to a non case sensitive one. So there may be two files on the source drive with identical filenames, but with different cases in some of the characters. When these are both copied to the destination, because the destination will ignore case, you get a "same name" warning.

Step one - format your new drive as APFS or MacOS extended, journaled., and make sure the ignore ownership checkbox is checked.

Similar questions

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 5, 2021 3:19 PM in response to AgnAggie

So your first problem is that the new drive is not formatted correctly. (If the ignore ownership option is not there, then it is not a format compatible with Photos library.

Your second problem is that you are copying from a case sensitive drive to a non case sensitive one. So there may be two files on the source drive with identical filenames, but with different cases in some of the characters. When these are both copied to the destination, because the destination will ignore case, you get a "same name" warning.

Step one - format your new drive as APFS or MacOS extended, journaled., and make sure the ignore ownership checkbox is checked.

Apr 5, 2021 1:55 PM in response to TonyCollinet

Hi, thank you for the reply.

I am trying to restore the libraries to new external disk from back up drive and there is no ownership info available.

The new drive is definitely not case sensitive.

I tired to restore one of the libraries to the computer but again got the same message:

which is very confusing since on the computer I do not have any Photos or iPhoto libraries.

Thank you

Can not copy photos libraries to external drive.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.