Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Recovery and Current data

I have backed up my files in iTunes from my iPhone XR, when I purchased new iPhone 11and used it for 2 months with new files and pictures, when I restored my files from the backup, I lost all my current important files of the new iPhone 11. Why does backup tamper with new files? I thought it supposed to keep the current files intact with the backup. This is a major Apple iPhone data backup flaw and I hope they fix it.

iPhone 11

Posted on Apr 3, 2021 12:50 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 3, 2021 12:53 PM

Since there is not user accessible file management system the restore from backup is working exactly as designed. Your iPhone asked you if you wanted to set it up as a new device or from another one or a backup. You chose not to. Any restored backup will remove all data added since the date/time of that backup.

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 3, 2021 12:53 PM in response to alhaqqfromnigeria

Since there is not user accessible file management system the restore from backup is working exactly as designed. Your iPhone asked you if you wanted to set it up as a new device or from another one or a backup. You chose not to. Any restored backup will remove all data added since the date/time of that backup.

Apr 3, 2021 9:09 PM in response to deggie

I wasn’t given any choice to save my current backup, it just wiped out everything. Backup should be designed to integrate with current files in iPhone not wipe them. I lost important files and some of them can’t be recovered from anywhere including my girlfriend trip photos and she’s crying since yesterday. Apple iPhone programmer should be smart enough to make restoring backup keep some important files just like in windows OS. I am really furious sincerely. I don’t even know where to begin or how to bear this loss of my data. I think Apple programmers failed in this aspect because if I want to include the current files in my old backup, it will then erase old backup. Why must we loss either way? It’s like having a new family and you kill the old one or you want the old family, you kill the current family when the best solution is integrate them all. We really don’t have to loss any current files because we want to include our old backup. This should be addressed cos it might caused menace to millions of iPhone users.

Recovery and Current data

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.