Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

VoiceOver Braille Screen Input Acting Weird

Hello Apple Community,

I have been playing around with VoiceOver for awhile now to learn how to use my iPhone SE 1st gem with it because I have started having a hard time seeing it. I also have been attempting to use Braille Screen Input but there’s a problem. I’ll try to tap a dot, for example dot 1, and it’ll think I’m pressing dot 6 or 2. I also have tried to recalibrate it but I can’t seem to get it to calibrate. I thought maybe I’m not doing it right so I moved to my iPad to figure it out, but it works smoothly without a problem whatsoever. Can someone help? Oh, and it is worse in Screen Away Mode. And if you are wondering why I’m learning this if I have vision, it is because I have very bad vision and seeing my tiny little iPhone screen is getting incredibly hard.

iPhone SE, iOS 14

Posted on Apr 4, 2021 1:04 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 7, 2021 5:05 AM

Hi -Captain-

We appreciate the reply! If you're finding the issue only occurs on the iPhone and you've tried restoring to factory settings before, it may be worth getting in touch with Apple directly in order to look into this further: Contact Apple Support

Kind regards.

4 replies

Apr 5, 2021 9:33 AM in response to -Captain-

Hello -Captain-,

Thanks for posting! As we understand it, you're finding that the dots for entering braille on your iPhone do not respond as expected, but the same function works on your iPad. Is that correct?

To rule out a few possibilities, does your iPhone display work as expected otherwise, or has it sometimes had issues with responding? Knowing this would help in narrowing the issue down.

In addition to the steps you've taken already, have you tried to Restart your iPhone and test again?

Also, just to verify, have you reviewed the gestures and actions listed here? Type braille directly on your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch. Do any of these actions work as expected?

"How to enter braille on your iOS or iPadOS device's screen

You can enter braille with your iOS or iPadOS device lying flat in front of you (tabletop mode), or with the device facing away so that your fingers curl back to tap the screen (screen-away mode).

First, make sure that VoiceOver is turned on, then set the VoiceOver rotor to Braille Screen Input. If Braille Screen Input isn't in the rotor, go to Settings > Accessibility > VoiceOver > Rotor, then turn on Braille Screen Input.

Now you can enter braille characters by tapping the screen with one finger or several fingers at the same time. You can also perform these actions:

• Enter a space: Swipe right with one finger.
  • Delete the previous character: Swipe left with one finger.
  • Move to a new line: Swipe right with two fingers.
  • Cycle through spelling suggestions: Swipe up or down with one finger.
  • Enter a carriage return, or send a message: Swipe up with three fingers.
  • Switch between six-dot braille and contracted braille: Swipe right with three fingers.
  • Translate immediately (when contractions are enabled): Swipe down with two fingers.
  • Switch to the next keyboard: Swipe up with two fingers.

To exit Braille Screen Input, do a two-finger scrub or adjust the rotor to another setting."

Best wishes.

Apr 6, 2021 7:31 AM in response to ryane77

Hello ryane77,

Thank you for your help! Yes, Braille Screen Input only seems to be working on my iPad 7th generation running iOS 14.4.2. I have tested to see if other things work or not and occasionally something won’t work quite right, but I hear it’s expected for that. This though is quite frequent, which is why I posted here on Apple Communities, or Apple Discussions, I can’t figure which is the actual name. I have restarted my phone many times and checked to see what iOS I am running. The screen responds fine when I’m not using VoiceOver, but I think I need to use VoiceOver more to get the hang of using it correctly. My phone does run slower than it used to before iOS 14 was released and updated onto my phone, so I have reset the phone to factory settings multiple times, then manually install all my apps, photos, and etc. along with resetting up my settings. I have watched and read manuals on how to use VoiceOver and Braille Screen Input thoroughly. I have debated about reseting my phone again to factory settings, but now I will be transferring to a hand-me-down phone here in a few weeks, so I feel like it would be pointless to reset it since I’ll be going through the reset process shortly.

Thanks again for your help!

Sincerely,

Captain

VoiceOver Braille Screen Input Acting Weird

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.