Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPad Keyboard

If I already bought the Smart Folio Keyboard, should I buy the Magic Keyboard?

Posted on Apr 4, 2021 6:02 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 4, 2021 7:38 PM

My opinion here? If you need it, buy it. If you’re carrying the iPad and need a keyboard, the folio works. The magic works, too.

The magic is substantially heavier than the folio and close to the weight of the entire iPad itself, and closer to a keyboard dock and stand than a portable keyboard. I’ve used both.

Magic 11” weight: ~600 grams / ~1.3 pounds.

They each have different compromises, to serve somewhat different purposes.

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 4, 2021 7:38 PM in response to Millionmax911

My opinion here? If you need it, buy it. If you’re carrying the iPad and need a keyboard, the folio works. The magic works, too.

The magic is substantially heavier than the folio and close to the weight of the entire iPad itself, and closer to a keyboard dock and stand than a portable keyboard. I’ve used both.

Magic 11” weight: ~600 grams / ~1.3 pounds.

They each have different compromises, to serve somewhat different purposes.

Apr 4, 2021 6:37 PM in response to Millionmax911

Whether you want to switch from one keyboard to the other is your decision. Buy whatever works for your needs. Or both, if you have the budget for that. Both will work interchangeably too, if you have the same size iPad as the keyboard.

Both keyboards have an 11” size, and a 12.9” size, so if you’re using the iPad Air 4th gen, you’ll need the 11” size for either or both.

The Smart Folio is somewhat more portable and thinner and somewhat lighter to carry around, while the Magic Keyboard is heavier and somewhat more bulky, works better as a keyboard dock and iPad stand.

Neither keyboard is particularly good at protecting the iPad.

https://www.apple.com/ipad-keyboards/

iPad Keyboard

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.