Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apple Watch

I’m looking to get an Apple Watch and unsure whether to get GPS or Cellular.

with cellular I would obvs connect to my phones tariff and use my data there, but if I get GPS it would need to always be next I and connected to my phone to use, so when making calls etc with my GPS watch I would still be using my phones data wouldn’t i? So what is the point of me getting a GPS if either phone will need my phones data to use?

Posted on Apr 4, 2021 7:00 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 4, 2021 8:27 PM

There is an additional and separate cellular data plan (including SIM) that is supported by the GPS+Cellular models. You'll be using that and not your phone's.

On the other hand, there is a whole bunch of stuff that you can with the GPS only model, even when your phone is not within reach and not connected to your watch. For instance Apple Pay works, you can do any of the outdoors workouts, like running, etc. It is a surprisingly capable watch on it's own too.

What’s the difference between GPS and GPS + Cellular?

GPS

Apple Watch Series 3 (GPS) lets you send and receive text messages, answer phone calls, and receive notifications when it’s connected to your iPhone via Bluetooth and Wi-Fi. The built-in GPS works independently of your iPhone for distance, pace, and route mapping in workouts.

GPS + Cellular

Apple Watch Series 3 (GPS + Cellular) has all the same features, as well as built-in cellular. It gives you the freedom to send and receive text messages, answer phone calls, receive notifications, and stream Apple Music and Apple Podcasts — even when you don’t have your iPhone with you.

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 4, 2021 8:27 PM in response to Carlaj25

There is an additional and separate cellular data plan (including SIM) that is supported by the GPS+Cellular models. You'll be using that and not your phone's.

On the other hand, there is a whole bunch of stuff that you can with the GPS only model, even when your phone is not within reach and not connected to your watch. For instance Apple Pay works, you can do any of the outdoors workouts, like running, etc. It is a surprisingly capable watch on it's own too.

What’s the difference between GPS and GPS + Cellular?

GPS

Apple Watch Series 3 (GPS) lets you send and receive text messages, answer phone calls, and receive notifications when it’s connected to your iPhone via Bluetooth and Wi-Fi. The built-in GPS works independently of your iPhone for distance, pace, and route mapping in workouts.

GPS + Cellular

Apple Watch Series 3 (GPS + Cellular) has all the same features, as well as built-in cellular. It gives you the freedom to send and receive text messages, answer phone calls, receive notifications, and stream Apple Music and Apple Podcasts — even when you don’t have your iPhone with you.

Apple Watch

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.