Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apple Watch 7

Does gps/ cellular have more or less than just gps? Can gps/cellular be used with your phone near by or just like gps (watch)

Apple Watch Series 7

Posted on Dec 15, 2021 6:18 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 15, 2021 7:49 PM

I'm not exactly sure I understand your questions, but perhaps this article will help:

About Bluetooth, Wi-Fi, and cellular on your Apple Watch - Apple Support

"Your Apple Watch uses Wi-Fi and Bluetooth to communicate with your paired iPhone. If you have cellular, your watch can also stay connected through a cellular network. Your watch switches between these intelligently to choose the most power-efficient connection. Here's how:

• Your Apple Watch uses Bluetooth when your iPhone is near, which conserves power. 
  • If Bluetooth isn’t available, your Apple Watch will try to use Wi-Fi. For example, if compatible Wi-Fi is available and your iPhone isn't in Bluetooth range, your Apple Watch uses Wi-Fi.
  • If Bluetooth and Wi-Fi aren't available, and you set up a cellular plan, cellular models of Apple Watch can connect to cellular networks."

A GPS-only watch can do everything a GPS+Cellular watch can as long as it is near the paired iPhone.

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 15, 2021 7:49 PM in response to rozada

I'm not exactly sure I understand your questions, but perhaps this article will help:

About Bluetooth, Wi-Fi, and cellular on your Apple Watch - Apple Support

"Your Apple Watch uses Wi-Fi and Bluetooth to communicate with your paired iPhone. If you have cellular, your watch can also stay connected through a cellular network. Your watch switches between these intelligently to choose the most power-efficient connection. Here's how:

• Your Apple Watch uses Bluetooth when your iPhone is near, which conserves power. 
  • If Bluetooth isn’t available, your Apple Watch will try to use Wi-Fi. For example, if compatible Wi-Fi is available and your iPhone isn't in Bluetooth range, your Apple Watch uses Wi-Fi.
  • If Bluetooth and Wi-Fi aren't available, and you set up a cellular plan, cellular models of Apple Watch can connect to cellular networks."

A GPS-only watch can do everything a GPS+Cellular watch can as long as it is near the paired iPhone.

Apple Watch 7

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.