Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to quickly assess the condition of a second hand macbook pro (in the days of the virus)

I am planning to buy a Macbook Pro Early 2015 13" I5, 2,7 GHZ.

How to check the mac in 5 minutes on a parking lot, before paying for it?

How do I quickly load the processor to see how much fan action there is to check the status of the cpu cooling pasta or how much fan noise to expect.

I think Osx Catalina is the best for this Mac? Big Sur too much to handle.....?

Other things I should check before buying?

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 10.13

Posted on Apr 5, 2021 4:17 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 5, 2021 9:13 AM

Look at this link from a buyer's perspective:

Apple: What to do before selling or giving away your Mac - http://support.apple.com/HT201065

Were those things done?

One thing is, the computer should have the original macOS version on it. Upgrades are the responsibility of individual owners.

Select your exact model on the everymac.com web site. It seems the 2015 MBP line has 16GB RAM and at least a 500 GB SSD which means it should comfortably run the newest macOS versions unless you are doing big time video production (in which case i might be concerned about cooling on any notebook model).

8 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 5, 2021 9:13 AM in response to Norwegian_Macfan68

Look at this link from a buyer's perspective:

Apple: What to do before selling or giving away your Mac - http://support.apple.com/HT201065

Were those things done?

One thing is, the computer should have the original macOS version on it. Upgrades are the responsibility of individual owners.

Select your exact model on the everymac.com web site. It seems the 2015 MBP line has 16GB RAM and at least a 500 GB SSD which means it should comfortably run the newest macOS versions unless you are doing big time video production (in which case i might be concerned about cooling on any notebook model).

Apr 5, 2021 9:49 PM in response to Norwegian_Macfan68

You definitely want to Option Boot the laptop to make sure there is no firmware lock:

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204455

You also want to make sure the laptop is not being managed by a school or business or still associated with the former owner's AppleID where they could just lock and erase the laptop at anytime. This is hard to assess even if you have lots of time. Usually if you perform a clean install you will notice if a school or business are still managing the laptop as you may see the notice or you may see unusual apps installed on the laptop after a clean install. However, this won't tell you if the previous owner's AppleID is still in control until you attempt to associate your AppleID with that device which you do not want to do until you perform a clean install of macOS. This isn't something you can do or tell in a parking lot.

Keep in mind that if a Mac ever has a firmware lock enabled for any reason (even if it just spontaneously happens -- I've seen that occur one time with a co-worker), then you will never be able to remove that firmware lock unless you know the firmware password since you will not have valid proof of purchase which Apple will accept to remove the firmware lock.

I think it is extremely dangerous to buy a pre-owned Mac from an unknown source for this very reason since Apple does not provide their users with a method to properly change ownership of a Mac so that you could have a firmware lock removed if necessary.

How to quickly assess the condition of a second hand macbook pro (in the days of the virus)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.