Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Help! Midi keyboard suddenly stopped working in Logic

I’m hoping someday can help me resolve a crazy problem.

I’ve been using an Arturia Keystep in Logic for years with no problem. Today I loaded up Logic and suddenly the keyboard is not sending any notes (usually the midi notes display when I hit keys).

If I unplug the USB and plug it in again it says “1 USB in/out available”, so Logic sees it. Also, strangely, if I hit keys it starts resizing the Logic windows and stuff like that, so Logic appears to think the keyboard is a control surface or something.

The Keystep is recognized in the Arturia Midi software and I successfully updated the firmware on it after this problem occurred.

I’m not that well-versed in the Audio/Midi environment on the Mac so I’m not sure if there’s anything to do in there. I tried messing around but couldn’t figure it out.

I thought the keyboard might have died, but I opened up some Arturia synths and the IKMultimedia B-3X in standalone mode and the Keystep works fine in those. In the Arturia synth standalone it even lists the Keystep as a midi device and lets me select or unselect it.

This therefore seems to be a Logic issue, but I can’t figure out how to re-add the keyboard. It’s not in the list of keyboard controllers in Logic and I’m not even sure how I originally set it up (or if it was just detected).

I’ve tried restarting my computer as well, but unfortunately that doesn’t work.

Does anyone have any ideas for how to resolve this? It’s killing me.

Posted on Apr 5, 2021 6:33 AM

Similar questions

4 replies

Apr 6, 2021 5:40 AM in response to Murahachibu

Yes, you inadvertently at some point hit cmd-L; then you played that missing note. It got learned as a controller assignment and after that is no longer available as a musical note. So for a more thorough solution, go into the controller assignments window, find that assigned note and delete it. Now you can "unbypass" all control surfaces and use them again. "Bypass all CS" is just a quick fix for "missing notes".

Note that when you close the controller assigments window, learn mode should be OFF. If the "learn" button is blue, it is still active. You have to press that button to deactivate it (or hit cmd-L).

Help! Midi keyboard suddenly stopped working in Logic

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.