Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mac Mail bugs just getting completely out of control - HELP!

Hi all,

MacMail issues - getting worse. Anyone else experiencing these issues?

Just found yet another bug...

I am replying to a client. As I often do when replying in detail, I remove the recipient's email in the TO: field. I can then type safely, edit and ensure the email is correct before sending it out. So I do this just now, create a proof and add the PDF. When I put the email recipient's email address back in place - the PDF is deleted.

Actually two bugs...

I minimized the email to the dock and the icon disappeared. So, two bugs in 20 minutes - I'm on a roll!

Now, I'm guessing the deletion of the PDF has something to do with Apple's "auto-sense" which I have noticed when typing new emails - with multiple Mac Mail accounts - it auto-switches from work to personal if I type in a person's name that have only emailed via Gmail account, and vice versa. Meh, I don't really need this kind of MS Office-style hand-holding. But deleting the attachment is clearly a bug that needs to be fixed, am I right? Or, is there a feature I can turn off to prevent this mayhem?

Next up...

MacMail preferences window is stuck in 2004 - you cannot expand the width of the window to see any email addresses with any real use...

Signature panel - same sad old OS issue...

And, next up, has anyone had any issues with this "new" "Include Attachments" feature in Mail - that has never worked for me...

Saving email to work docket for paper trail purposes, the little checkbox "Include Attachments" - what is this for? Because it certainly doesn't save the attachments. Never has.

Hoping someone can shed some light if they are facing the same issues - or have been able to figure out a workaround - that would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

MacBook Pro 15″, macOS 11.2

Posted on Apr 5, 2021 10:53 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 5, 2021 11:16 AM

Boot into Safe Mode according to Start up your Mac in safe mode - Apple Support and see if the problem persists. Reboot normally and check again.

NOTE: Safe Mode boot can take up to 10 minutes as it's doing the following; 

• Verifies your startup disk and attempts to repair directory issues, if needed

• Loads only required kernel extensions (prevents 3rd party kernel/extensions from loading)

• Prevents Startup Items and Login Items from opening automatically

• Disables user-installed fonts 

• Deletes font caches, kernel cache, and other system cache files

Similar questions

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 5, 2021 11:16 AM in response to AndrewC1264

Boot into Safe Mode according to Start up your Mac in safe mode - Apple Support and see if the problem persists. Reboot normally and check again.

NOTE: Safe Mode boot can take up to 10 minutes as it's doing the following; 

• Verifies your startup disk and attempts to repair directory issues, if needed

• Loads only required kernel extensions (prevents 3rd party kernel/extensions from loading)

• Prevents Startup Items and Login Items from opening automatically

• Disables user-installed fonts 

• Deletes font caches, kernel cache, and other system cache files

Apr 6, 2021 2:37 PM in response to AndrewC1264

Last requests: download and run Etrecheck. Etrecheck is a diagnostic tool that was developed by one of the most respected users here in the ASC and recommended by Apple Support  to provide a snapshot of the system and help identify the more obvious culprits that can adversely affect a Mac's performance.

IMPORTANT:

Before running Etrecheck assign Full Disk Access to Etrecheck in the Etrecheck's Privacy preference pane so that it can get additional information from the Console and log files for the report:

Also click and read the About info to further permit full disk access.

Copy the report

and use the Additional Text button to include the report in your reply.

Then we can examine the report and see if we can get any insight into what might be causing the problem.

Apr 6, 2021 1:40 PM in response to Old Toad

Hi Old Toad - thanks - but need to point out - this is a brand new, fresh, virgin install of Big Sur using a thumb drive with OS installed as the boot up disk, wipes and erased MacBook Pro...

No third party installs, no user-installed fonts - already takes far too long to scroll through all the Apple crap fonts...

and still...

unacceptable performance.

Simply cannot fathom the lack of attention to Mail.

If the save attachment works anyone I'd really like to know.

Simple process - I get emails with marked up PDFs from clients, I need to save these, Mail cannot handle a simple operation like this. I didn't create the "Include Attachments" options - would really like to know why it exists.

Thanks!

Apr 6, 2021 2:13 PM in response to Old Toad

Hi Old Toad,

4 are gmail, 3 emails are my own companies, hosted by MediaTemple, a fairly large hosting company, and one is Apple's own me.com. I just tested it again just now and it is not doing it today. So maybe it only occurs on odd-numbered days?!

But why on earth would minimizing the message result in a blank icon in the dock - regardless of the source of the email - it hasn't been sent yet! That is still a bug today. Will check again once I restart it tomorrow, I didn't restart this morning, left it running. Note - have experienced far more issues with the original BS install when leaving it running for a week or so than with ANY OS EVER in the history of Mac OS X. All kinds of failures when waking it.

Regardless of these little inconsistencies - the Mail prefs window is still a monumental failure on Apple's part.

Time to rethink Mac Mail and bring it into at least 2010. 2012? with a resizable window. Please.

That, while not a bug, is a major oversight.

Thanks.

Mac Mail bugs just getting completely out of control - HELP!

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.