Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

import passwords to safari

I want to switch back to Safari from using Brave since Brave was proving a little bit glitchy.

So I was going to temporarily install chrome and import from Brave to chrome and then import from chrome to safari (ridiculous but apparently necessary). But when I look for the "Import From" option in the file menu of Safari 14.0.3 in Big Sur, all I see is import bookmarks and export bookmarks!!

I would primarily like to transfer passwords not bookmarks but unless I'm missing something, it seems the required option is no longer there.

Is there a way to get this working again or have Apple deliberately removed this feature...although the Bur Sur support manual says it's still there.

This question has been asked here before but the only response was to follow the Big Sur support manual more closely. However this is useless advice since the guide says to use this "import from" option which is simply not there!

Some actual helpful help from someone more well informed would be much appreciated.

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 11.2

Posted on Apr 6, 2021 3:33 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 6, 2021 5:08 AM

A user has to "Export Passwords" first

Show, edit, delete, or export saved passwords

https://support.google.com/chrome/answer/95606?co=GENIE.Platform%3DDesktop&hl=en

and the Safari may be able import to Safari.

5 replies

Apr 6, 2021 2:24 PM in response to dominic23

Thanks for your response but it's already abundantly clear to me that one needs to have something to import before one can perform an import process.

As I clearly stated in my initial question, I plan to import from Brave to chrome and then from chrome to safari...I apologise, I thought it would be assumed that I will have first performed an export prior to importing at each step of this process.

So now that we have established the fundamentals of export/import, can we address my actual question - what has happened to the "Import From" option in the current Safari File menu?? I'm not sure why but it seems that here at the Apple forum, whenever someone asks this question all the responders are completely disregarding this crucial factor and offering only generic advice.

Let me reiterate in a more point-blank manner..."Import From" is missing from my Big Sur installation and evidently from many other installations, does anyone know why this is and/or if it can be remedied?

Again, some actual helpful help would be much appreciated.

Apr 7, 2021 5:00 AM in response to dominic23

Ok so I went ahead and installed chrome and it appears that the missing import option magically materialises within the safari file menu only when chrome has been installed...maybe that's what Dominic23 was trying to say by "A user has to "Export Passwords" first". So I guess I take back my earlier response. For future reference though, it would have been much clearer to say 'A user has to "install Chrome" first" since it is Installing chrome which remedies the situation, whereas performing an export before performing an import should be blatantly obvious without any instruction.

Thank you all the same, it was your response which got me thinking id try going ahead and installing chrome despite the lack of required options in safari.

import passwords to safari

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.