Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Questions about "ipad disabled message, connect to itunes"

Hi. My father is in a nursing home. Because of pandemic, it is very difficult to visit there to fix issues with his iPad. He is very elderly and not able to communicate well. He uses it mostly for email and to watch netflix.

Lately, he is getting the ipad is disabled, connect to itunes message a lot. So I go the nursing home, a long trip, and pick up his ipad from the lobby bring it home, I guess erase it on my computer with itunes and then restore a backup from the icloud or itunes.

My understanding is that this disabling happens because a passcode is entered wrong too many times. But he doesn't have a passcode set on the iPad to enter wrong. I'm wondering if entering the apple id wrong too many times when there is an update or something could do it or if there is some other cause of this message and lockdown of the ipad?

My next question has to do with dealing with the ipad once it is in this state. What I've been doing is using itunes to erase the ipad and then restoring backup from icloud. I one time brought a laptop with me to the nursing home to try it there but it did not work for some reason. I think because the wifi there is too slow.

So my question is, when you first connect ipad to laptop/itunes, it must I believe erase and update. Does this require an internet connection to accomplish? I have a backup of his ipad saved to the computer/itunes so I know I should be good there. Basically, I'm trying to make this less difficult of a process since just going down there is a lot of trouble and somewhat dangerous. Is there any easier way to do this? Is there a way to disable the possiblity of the ipad getting into this disabled state?

Thanks!

Posted on Apr 6, 2021 10:27 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 6, 2021 10:49 AM

First, you are clearly following the correct procedures to restore the iPad when it becomes disabled. As such, there is no need to discuss this aspect in any detail.

The iPad will become disabled if an incorrect Passcode is entered too many times (10). As such, a Passcode must be presumed to exist.

Whilst from a security perspective the setting of an easily remembered passcode is not recommended, this might be a sensible and pragmatic workaround to the problem of a forgotten passcode. In your situation, a known Passcode may be easier to “manage” than the belief that it has not been configured - and subsequent consequences that you appear to encounter with some regularity. Setting a Passcode doesn’t prevent the iPad from being disabled, but hopefully reduces the likelihood.

NB: Some features will only work if a Passcode has been set - as such, without the Passcode, the iPad is already functionally crippled.

Next, having configured a Passcode, you might consider setting a ScreenTime Passcode that you will intentionally not share. Having done so, set appropriate restrictions that inhibit alteration of the iPad Passcode:

Settings > Screen Time > Content & Privacy Restrictions > [Allow Changes] >

• Set Passcode - set to Don’t Allow
  • Change Passcode - set to Don’t Allow

Similar questions

8 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 6, 2021 10:49 AM in response to frale55

First, you are clearly following the correct procedures to restore the iPad when it becomes disabled. As such, there is no need to discuss this aspect in any detail.

The iPad will become disabled if an incorrect Passcode is entered too many times (10). As such, a Passcode must be presumed to exist.

Whilst from a security perspective the setting of an easily remembered passcode is not recommended, this might be a sensible and pragmatic workaround to the problem of a forgotten passcode. In your situation, a known Passcode may be easier to “manage” than the belief that it has not been configured - and subsequent consequences that you appear to encounter with some regularity. Setting a Passcode doesn’t prevent the iPad from being disabled, but hopefully reduces the likelihood.

NB: Some features will only work if a Passcode has been set - as such, without the Passcode, the iPad is already functionally crippled.

Next, having configured a Passcode, you might consider setting a ScreenTime Passcode that you will intentionally not share. Having done so, set appropriate restrictions that inhibit alteration of the iPad Passcode:

Settings > Screen Time > Content & Privacy Restrictions > [Allow Changes] >

• Set Passcode - set to Don’t Allow
  • Change Passcode - set to Don’t Allow

Apr 6, 2021 4:05 PM in response to LotusPilot

I have a couple of quick follow up questions.

I set a 4 digit numeric passcode and it stated it was easy to guess - use anyway - and I chose to use it.

It won't in the future prompt him to consider a new passcode will it? This will confuse my father. I assume it won't but I figure I would ask because I could set a slighlty more difficult one (year of birth) that won't bring that warning. Just easiest to have him hit one key 4 times. Hard to get an error on that if he over hits it or under hits it.

Also, the two factor authentication. I don't use it on his iPad because I'm scared he will be in the nursing home, do something and he will need to verify with a code and he has no other devices there and he cannot easily reach me for a long while. So I leave it off. There really is not much of a security issue where he is at. I have almost everyone there knowing various pw's of his so they can help him and it's never been an issue. Security issues aside, are there any other issues with leaving 2 factor off? I believe he can't use the keychain feature but he doesn't really use saved passwords on sites or credit cards. Just concerned leaving it off could have the iPad be prompting him to turn it on or make a new passcode or something like that. Can I turn it on with no worries? Is it ok to leave off?

Thanks again.

Questions about "ipad disabled message, connect to itunes"

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.