📢 Newsroom Update

The iPhone 16 and iPhone 16 Pro lineups, Apple Watch Series 10, the new black titanium Apple Watch Ultra 2, AirPods 4, and new colors for AirPods Max are now available! Learn more >

You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple ID, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to clean my MacBook Air camera?

My MacBook Air camera got blu tack on it and is now badly smudged. I expected there to some small remnants blocking the camera but instead it's equally smudged across the whole lens, and the camera quality looks as though it's really, really out of focus. I've tried cleaning it with a microfibre cloth but it's not making any difference. Does anyone know the most effective way to safely clean the camera, or whether this sounds like a different issue?

MacBook Air 13″, macOS 10.15

Posted on Apr 6, 2021 11:28 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Apr 6, 2021 1:12 PM

You might try a 70 percent isopropyl alcohol wipe or Clorox Disinfecting Wipe to see if that will remove it.

See the following from How to clean your Apple products - Apple Support

Is it OK to use a disinfectant on my Apple product? 

Using a 70 percent isopropyl alcohol wipe or Clorox Disinfecting Wipes, you may gently wipe the hard, nonporous surfaces of your Apple product, such as the display, keyboard, or other exterior surfaces. Don't use bleach. Avoid getting moisture in any opening, and don't submerge your Apple product in any cleaning agents. Don't use on fabric or leather surfaces.

1 reply
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Apr 6, 2021 1:12 PM in response to 7934

You might try a 70 percent isopropyl alcohol wipe or Clorox Disinfecting Wipe to see if that will remove it.

See the following from How to clean your Apple products - Apple Support

Is it OK to use a disinfectant on my Apple product? 

Using a 70 percent isopropyl alcohol wipe or Clorox Disinfecting Wipes, you may gently wipe the hard, nonporous surfaces of your Apple product, such as the display, keyboard, or other exterior surfaces. Don't use bleach. Avoid getting moisture in any opening, and don't submerge your Apple product in any cleaning agents. Don't use on fabric or leather surfaces.

How to clean my MacBook Air camera?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.