Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can I stop automatic music playback via Bluetooth?

When I am playing music from iPhone via Bluetooth in my car, then leave and come back, the music starts up again automatically. If I am using Maps or trying to make a call, that can be really annoying. There should a preference setting that would allow that to not happen. Can I adjust this somehow?

iPhone 12, iOS 14

Posted on Apr 6, 2021 11:50 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 6, 2021 1:21 PM

It's the vehicle itself sending a Play Audio command to the iPhone over Bluetooth after they connect. Every vehicle with Bluetooth that I've ever been in does this. Some vehicles apparently have an option to not do it automatically, but I have never encountered one. Though I haven't looked for it in my most recent vehicle.

The iPhone is just doing what it is told to do. It plays from the most recently used audio source, whether it was Music, Podcasts, YouTube, or whatever.

Similar questions

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 6, 2021 1:21 PM in response to monkeycrayons

It's the vehicle itself sending a Play Audio command to the iPhone over Bluetooth after they connect. Every vehicle with Bluetooth that I've ever been in does this. Some vehicles apparently have an option to not do it automatically, but I have never encountered one. Though I haven't looked for it in my most recent vehicle.

The iPhone is just doing what it is told to do. It plays from the most recently used audio source, whether it was Music, Podcasts, YouTube, or whatever.

Can I stop automatic music playback via Bluetooth?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.