Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Photos disappeared from Photo App

Hi

I am hoping someone can help me! All my photos on the Photo app has disappeared. It’s been like that for 2/3 months. All the photos I took from my iPhone is on my MacBook photo app however the pictures I have transferred from go pro, canon etc has all gone. I’ve tried repairing the library, I’ve tried seeing if I got different photo library and I don’t. Please can anyone help?!

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 11.2

Posted on Apr 6, 2021 1:17 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 6, 2021 1:44 PM

Hi

Do you have a backup of your photos - that would be the normal way to recover from this sort of situation.

Where are you looking in your photos app? Are you looking in the all photos view? Also check the imports folder - that will show you everything that has been imported manually - even if they are misplaced in the all photos view.

How have you checked for a different photo library? You need to use the option start, as well as doing a spotlight search:

First try opening photos while holding the option key. Is more than one library listed. If so, open them in turn to see if any contain your photos.

If not, then use the spotlight search to see if there are any other libraries (search in finder). Put photoslibrary in the searchbox.

Make sure "this mac" is selected.

If you click on the found libraries in turn, the location will be shown at the bottom of the finder window. Open each one to see if they contain your images. (Use the option key to start photos then select the library)

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 6, 2021 1:44 PM in response to tanker23

Hi

Do you have a backup of your photos - that would be the normal way to recover from this sort of situation.

Where are you looking in your photos app? Are you looking in the all photos view? Also check the imports folder - that will show you everything that has been imported manually - even if they are misplaced in the all photos view.

How have you checked for a different photo library? You need to use the option start, as well as doing a spotlight search:

First try opening photos while holding the option key. Is more than one library listed. If so, open them in turn to see if any contain your photos.

If not, then use the spotlight search to see if there are any other libraries (search in finder). Put photoslibrary in the searchbox.

Make sure "this mac" is selected.

If you click on the found libraries in turn, the location will be shown at the bottom of the finder window. Open each one to see if they contain your images. (Use the option key to start photos then select the library)

Apr 19, 2021 12:42 PM in response to tanker23

How did you import all the missing photos? File>import?

What happens if you look in the imports folder under library?

Are you sure you are looking in the all photos view. Is the filter top right showing "all items"?

How long have the items been missing? If less than 30 days, have a look in the deleted items folder. Has anything on your system changed just before this started. Eg system upgrade, library move, started to use iCloud etc etc.

Where is your library stored?

Try setting up a smart album with the condition Camera model - includes - one of the devices with missing pictures. - EG

Apr 19, 2021 4:42 AM in response to tanker23

You say that all your photos have disappeared, but you have the photos from your iPhone, so its just the Go Pro photos missing? Had you put them in a separate album which has been deleted? I'm guessing you do not use iCloud Photos?

Have you tried using Smart Albums to search your library based on a date when you know you had taken Go Pro photos or searching using the default file format that Go Pro uses.

Do you remember what you did 2/3 months ago - did you update your OS or move the library to a different drive, etc?

Photos disappeared from Photo App

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.