Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do I recover my photo library?

The photos application quit. Now I cannot find my photo library.

MacBook Pro 16″, macOS 10.15

Posted on Feb 10, 2022 2:26 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 11, 2022 2:17 PM

Hi there Himmelreich,

We'd like to help get back as many of your photos as possible.

Let's start with confirming some basics:

1. You mentioned that before all of your photos went missing, the Photos app quit itself. Is the Photos app still quitting itself when you're using it?
  2. If you enabled iCloud Photos on your Mac, have you checked on the iCloud website to see if your missing photos show there?
  3. If you do use iCloud Photos, how much available iCloud storage do you have? You can check this on the iCloud website as well.
  4. How much available built-in storage do you have? You can check for this by clicking on the Apple logo near the top left corner of the screen, then on About This Mac > Storage.

Cheers!

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 11, 2022 2:17 PM in response to Himmelreich

Hi there Himmelreich,

We'd like to help get back as many of your photos as possible.

Let's start with confirming some basics:

1. You mentioned that before all of your photos went missing, the Photos app quit itself. Is the Photos app still quitting itself when you're using it?
  2. If you enabled iCloud Photos on your Mac, have you checked on the iCloud website to see if your missing photos show there?
  3. If you do use iCloud Photos, how much available iCloud storage do you have? You can check this on the iCloud website as well.
  4. How much available built-in storage do you have? You can check for this by clicking on the Apple logo near the top left corner of the screen, then on About This Mac > Storage.

Cheers!

Feb 13, 2022 9:08 AM in response to bruno75

Hello bruno75,

Thanks so much for taking the time to respond to my question. I was able to solve the problem with checking the basics you mentioned. I am not sure how, but I found my photo library again. I also realized that only the photos from my iPhone but not from my Mac were uploaded in the cloud. I set the library to upload in iCloud which is still ongoing.

Thanks again and have a good day.

How do I recover my photo library?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.