You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple ID, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iCloud data from my old iPhone

If I don’t backup my iCloud data from my old I phone because I don’t have any storage and I reset my phone will that iCloud that couldn’t get backed up effect my new I phone?

[Re-Titled by Moderator]

Posted on Apr 6, 2021 10:34 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Apr 7, 2021 12:34 PM

As with many things in life the answer is, "It depends;" first depending upon what you call "backup". Strictly speaking, some items don't get saved in a backup because they use iCloud to sync. Let's say you have contacts set to sync over iCloud. Now you add a Contact on your old phone but there's no room in iCloud to update your iCloud version of Contacts. The new contact won't appear on your other phone.

Now let's say you have a setting that you change on your old phone. That setting would get saved in an iCloud backup. If your new phone crashes and you need to restore it from a recent backup, if your other phone couldn't backup because there was no storage on iCloud for it then you might be restoring your second phone from a very old backup.

What does iCloud back up? - https://support.apple.com/HT207428

1 reply
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Apr 7, 2021 12:34 PM in response to Jeiehsj

As with many things in life the answer is, "It depends;" first depending upon what you call "backup". Strictly speaking, some items don't get saved in a backup because they use iCloud to sync. Let's say you have contacts set to sync over iCloud. Now you add a Contact on your old phone but there's no room in iCloud to update your iCloud version of Contacts. The new contact won't appear on your other phone.

Now let's say you have a setting that you change on your old phone. That setting would get saved in an iCloud backup. If your new phone crashes and you need to restore it from a recent backup, if your other phone couldn't backup because there was no storage on iCloud for it then you might be restoring your second phone from a very old backup.

What does iCloud back up? - https://support.apple.com/HT207428

iCloud data from my old iPhone

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.