Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Deleting albums in Photos

I have 100s of albums in Photos that were created when I imported photos from various cameras over the last decade+ (iPhoto). All my photos are in synchronised to iCloud. I can't seem to get rid of the albums. Whenever I delete them, they return within a few minutes. Moving albums into a folder is also reversed within a few minutes. Probably caused by iCloud synchronisation.

What causes this behaviour and what can I do about it?

iMac 27″ 5K, macOS 11.2

Posted on Apr 7, 2021 2:56 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 7, 2021 3:52 AM

Hi

That is not the correct behaviour for iCloud syncing, and suggests something else odd is going on. It could be:

1 - is your library stored on your system drive - or on an external drive. If external, is it formatted correctly for photos (APFS or MacOS extended journalled - with the ignore ownership flag checked (see screenshot)

2 - Is it still in teh process of a full resync (eg after an upgrade to Big Sur). What is the sync status at the bottom of the all photos view?

3 - Do you have enough free space on your mac (or the volume where your library is) AND in iCloud for syncing to be working correctly?

4 - Are there any items in your library that cannot sync which may be preventing the sync process from working correctly (Create a smart album with the condition Photo - cannot upload to icloud. See second screenshot.)

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 7, 2021 3:52 AM in response to ericfromamersfoort

Hi

That is not the correct behaviour for iCloud syncing, and suggests something else odd is going on. It could be:

1 - is your library stored on your system drive - or on an external drive. If external, is it formatted correctly for photos (APFS or MacOS extended journalled - with the ignore ownership flag checked (see screenshot)

2 - Is it still in teh process of a full resync (eg after an upgrade to Big Sur). What is the sync status at the bottom of the all photos view?

3 - Do you have enough free space on your mac (or the volume where your library is) AND in iCloud for syncing to be working correctly?

4 - Are there any items in your library that cannot sync which may be preventing the sync process from working correctly (Create a smart album with the condition Photo - cannot upload to icloud. See second screenshot.)

Deleting albums in Photos

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.