Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Erased Hard Drive - Still have 300 GB in "Other"

Hi,

I wanted a clean install of Big Sur on my Air, as I was getting a lot of spinning discs. I did not have a lot of files on the computer, so I did not see this as a big job.

I erased my 1 TB Hard Drive, and Disk Utility showed that nearly 300 GB was occupying space in "other" even though I had just erased it.

Am I doing something wrong in erasing (I was following Apple's instructions). Is it something about "other"?

Thanks in advance for any advice on how to free up the whole drive.

Richard

Posted on Apr 7, 2021 3:51 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 7, 2021 5:15 AM

If one wishes a True Clean install of Big Sur - or for that matter any macOS - How to create a bootable installer for macOS. Understand the method being suggested here is wiping the Drive 100% Clean of everything - can not be recovered. Boot to the USB Installer via Option key immediately at startup. Notation - if the computer has the T2 Secure Enclave ( Touch ID ) read here first as you have to boot to Recovery Mode - Command + r - and change Secure Boot options to allow booting from External Drive and other setting in Secure Boot. Now, once booted to Install Big Sur - get to Disk Utilities and View >> View All Attached Drives >> choose the Upper Most Drive ( not Volumes listed below ) usually called Apple SSD and Erase this Drive as APFS with GUID Partition Map. This wipe everything from the drive. Now back out of Disk Utilities and choose Install macOS and follow the prompts until Setup Assist for Big Sur is presented.

Special Notation regarding the Newest M1 CPU from Apple - https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT211983

Similar questions

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 7, 2021 5:15 AM in response to RN12

If one wishes a True Clean install of Big Sur - or for that matter any macOS - How to create a bootable installer for macOS. Understand the method being suggested here is wiping the Drive 100% Clean of everything - can not be recovered. Boot to the USB Installer via Option key immediately at startup. Notation - if the computer has the T2 Secure Enclave ( Touch ID ) read here first as you have to boot to Recovery Mode - Command + r - and change Secure Boot options to allow booting from External Drive and other setting in Secure Boot. Now, once booted to Install Big Sur - get to Disk Utilities and View >> View All Attached Drives >> choose the Upper Most Drive ( not Volumes listed below ) usually called Apple SSD and Erase this Drive as APFS with GUID Partition Map. This wipe everything from the drive. Now back out of Disk Utilities and choose Install macOS and follow the prompts until Setup Assist for Big Sur is presented.

Special Notation regarding the Newest M1 CPU from Apple - https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT211983

Erased Hard Drive - Still have 300 GB in "Other"

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.