Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

GarageBand not responding in Big Sur

I updated my MacBook to Big Sur, and for some reason GarageBand keeps not responding every time I try to open it. I tried uninstalling it and reinstalling it, but that didn't work. I tried deleting the GarageBand Sound Library and reinstalling it, but that didn't work. I even updated to the most recent version of GarageBand, but the program still wouldn't respond. All I can do is Force Quit the application and that's it.

Is there any way to fix this or am I just doomed? Because this issue didn't happen when I updated my MacBook to Catalina.

MacBook Air 13″, macOS 11.2

Posted on Apr 7, 2021 5:27 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 8, 2021 6:59 AM

Hey RIchieGeck,

It sounds like you're having issues with GarageBand on your Mac. We can understand wanting to get that resolved. We want to help.

First, we'd recommend reviewing the information in this article to see if there are any steps you haven't tried: If an app freezes or quits unexpectedly on Mac

If that doesn't help, we'd recommend contacting Apple Support for assistance here: Get Support

Thanks!

Similar questions

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 8, 2021 6:59 AM in response to RichieGeck

Hey RIchieGeck,

It sounds like you're having issues with GarageBand on your Mac. We can understand wanting to get that resolved. We want to help.

First, we'd recommend reviewing the information in this article to see if there are any steps you haven't tried: If an app freezes or quits unexpectedly on Mac

If that doesn't help, we'd recommend contacting Apple Support for assistance here: Get Support

Thanks!

Apr 8, 2021 10:10 AM in response to chris_g1

I checked the suggestion, "Uninstall any app plug-ins or enhancements from other manufacturers.

If you recently updated the app or macOS, a plug-in or enhancement you installed may no longer be compatible., and it made me think that it had to do with the VST plug-ins I downloaded. So I dumped all my VST plug-ins in the recycle bin, and that made GarageBand function again. Then, I put some VST plug-ins back to see if they still made GarageBand respond or not and deleted the remaining VST plug-ins I felt like were causing the problem/wasn't really using.

That did the trick!

GarageBand not responding in Big Sur

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.