Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

AirPlay drops out and amplifier Hegel H120 disappears from AirPlay

I have an iMac 5K wired connected (UTP) to my router Cisco RV325. I use Music via AirPlay to play music on my Hegel H120. The Hegel H120 is wired connected (UTP) to an AirPort Express. So no WiFi.

AirPlay stops working, sometimes after 5 minutes, sometimes after an hour or longer. The Hegel H120 is greyed out and can't be reached nor via iMac or iPhone. Changing to Spotify or mconnect same result: H120 has disappeared.

The only thing I can do is to shutdown the Hegel H120 and interrupt the power cord. When the Hegel H120 reboots it works fine, but the problem reappears randomly.

My HiFi dealer and I thought it was the Hegel H120 but even his amp which I can borrow has the same problem!

I have checked everything (firmware, reboot router and AirPorts, changed cables, tried with fixed IP or dynamic IP, ...) but nothing helps.

Is there a known issue in Music/AirPlay/... ? What can I do? At the moment my HiFi set isn't fully functional and we have no clue why.

AirPlay says:

Posted on Apr 7, 2021 12:54 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 6, 2021 12:36 PM

I’m having exactly same issue with my Hegel h120. It doesn’t appear on the AirPlay list after certain period of time on all Apple devices. It reappears after h120 power is being completely shut and turned on again. I have assigned fixed IP in my home network to Hegel, but this didn’t help.

Thus, I would assume the issue is not with Apple devices but with amplifier.

Similar questions

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 6, 2021 12:36 PM in response to Corradomac

I’m having exactly same issue with my Hegel h120. It doesn’t appear on the AirPlay list after certain period of time on all Apple devices. It reappears after h120 power is being completely shut and turned on again. I have assigned fixed IP in my home network to Hegel, but this didn’t help.

Thus, I would assume the issue is not with Apple devices but with amplifier.

Apr 9, 2021 11:56 AM in response to Corradomac

Okay I did some troubleshooting. I replaced all cables, rebooted router and AP's. My HiFi dealer lended me his amplifier H120 and the same problem appears! So there is no problem with my H120.

Some further testing:

• Spotify Connect played for more then 12 hours without a problem;
  • AirPlay via my iPhone 12 played for more then 12 hours without a problem;
  • AirPlay via my old iMac 2011 High Sierra 10.13.6 with iTunes 12.8.2.3 played for more then 12 hours without a problem.

AirPlay from my iMac 2019 macOS Big Sur 11.2.3 has the symptoms and keeps dropping connection. My H120 can be pinged but had disappeared from AirPlay and can only come back when I shut it down and detach the power cord.

So the problem seems to be my iMac of Big Sur. What can I do to resolve this?

May 8, 2021 6:05 AM in response to KKnD81

Thanks for your reply! I did some further testing:

• Problem occurs on my iMac 2019 macOS Big Sur 11.3.1 with Music 1.1.4.110 and on my iMac 2011 macOS High Sierra 10.13.6 with iTunes 12.8.3.1
  • Problem occurs with the Hegel H120 from my dealer (a second amp to test).
  • Problems occurs also when the Hegel H120 is directly wired connected to the router and all WiFi AP are turned off.
  • Thanks to your answer I am now sure that there is no problem with my network nor setup

This can only lead to the conclusion that there is a bug in the software of the Hegel H120. I will contact Hegel about this.

May 24, 2021 9:26 AM in response to KKnD81

Hello KKnD81. After a lot of experiment I do think it's more likely to be some strange behavior of AirPlay. The problem occurs more frequent when I use a playlist when I play an entire album I haven't yet encountered the problem. Very strange but to my feeling AirPlay and playlist don't work well together.

I also tried with fixed IP's but that doesn't do the trick.

Now I'm trying Roon; haven't yet encountered the problem. But Roon can't import playlists made by Music... so I can't double test until Roon sorts this out.

AirPlay drops out and amplifier Hegel H120 disappears from AirPlay

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.