Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Sonos with Airplay not working on Mac mini M1

I play music from the Music app on my Mac mini M1 over AirPlay to my Sonos One. Just after I've started my Mac, everything works great. If I stop playing music, and leave it for a while, it all stops working. I go back to Music to try and carry on playing music, AirPlay does not work.

What I've tried:

1. Rebooting the Sonos. Doesn't work.
  2. Pressing play on the Sonos. Doesn't work.
  3. Trying a different Sonos. Doesn't work.
  4. Rebooting the Router. Doesn't work.
  5. Turning WiFi off and on, on the Mac. Doesn't work.
  6. If I reboot the Mac. It works.

This is clearly a rubbish solution. I can't restart my Mac every hour.

Help Apple! What can I (or you) do to fix this issue?

Mac mini, macOS 11.4

Posted on Jul 13, 2021 8:16 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 25, 2021 9:43 AM

Hi kevcofett,

Thanks so much for clarifying. Since our last communication, an update to macOS 11.5 has been released. If you haven't had an opportunity to do so, we can recommend backing up your Mac mini at this point and installing the latest update. Here's a guide as a reference:

Update macOS on Mac - Apple Support

If you find that the issue persists even after updating, reach out to Apple Support directly using the following link to investigate further:

Get Support

Take care.

Similar questions

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 25, 2021 9:43 AM in response to MurrayMacd

Hi kevcofett,

Thanks so much for clarifying. Since our last communication, an update to macOS 11.5 has been released. If you haven't had an opportunity to do so, we can recommend backing up your Mac mini at this point and installing the latest update. Here's a guide as a reference:

Update macOS on Mac - Apple Support

If you find that the issue persists even after updating, reach out to Apple Support directly using the following link to investigate further:

Get Support

Take care.

Jul 14, 2021 7:33 AM in response to MurrayMacd

Hi MurrayMacD,

We're glad you've reached out for help with this behavior you're experiencing when attempting to use AirPlay from your Mac mini. We'd love to help in any way we can.

To start, let us know if you've had an opportunity to verify that the firmware of your Sonos speakers are fully updated. If not, you'll want to reach out to Sonos directly.

If the issue persists, we can recommend following the troubleshooting steps in this guide:

If screen mirroring or streaming isn't working on your AirPlay-compatible device - Apple Support

We're here for you if you've got any questions.

Have a great day!

Jul 20, 2021 2:33 PM in response to MurrayMacd

@jcasapple,

The advice provided is, unfortunately, not helpful in the least. There are plenty of forum comments out here about how widespread this is. I have also tried all the steps including resetting both M1 Mac mini, and the Sonos one Gen 2's. I've verified all are up to date on the latest software, are on the same wireless network...I've updated music libraries....you name it. It only works if you reset everything and then don't allow the screen to shut off or the system to go into sleep mode, otherwise you have to restart everything yet again. This is totally unpractical as often, one steps away from the computer for a period of time, triggering the incompatibility again. Please advise as to a more permanent solution.

Sonos with Airplay not working on Mac mini M1

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.