Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Airplay not showing video on streaming services?

My favorite way to use my AppleTV is Airplaying with my Macbook and watching streaming services like that (as opposed to using the apps IN the AppleTV). I've been doing it this way for years across my devices. All of a sudden, a few weeks ago, whenever I Airplay from my Macbook, only the audio shows up, the video screen is black. This is for all TV services, Netflix, hulu, hbomax, xfinity, even youtube. I have NO idea what to do! I've tried restarting the device, my computers, and I've also tested this out on Ipads and different laptops and it's all the same. Now, all of a sudden, I can't Airplay my devices to watch ANYTHING because only Audio appears. Has anyone else had this issue and, if so, what did you do to solve it?!

Posted on Nov 8, 2022 12:16 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 8, 2022 11:32 AM

I don’t know how you did that, but this information is from the content providers directly [1] [2] [3] [4] [5].

You may have been using Screen Mirroring from the Chrome browser a bit longer when other browsers didn’t provide/​blocked that possibility. That might have changed either with the content provider and/or with browser version.

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 8, 2022 11:32 AM in response to flannelsallday

I don’t know how you did that, but this information is from the content providers directly [1] [2] [3] [4] [5].

You may have been using Screen Mirroring from the Chrome browser a bit longer when other browsers didn’t provide/​blocked that possibility. That might have changed either with the content provider and/or with browser version.

Nov 8, 2022 8:16 AM in response to Urquhart1244

But that's just not true! I ACTIVELY use all of these streaming platforms through airplay and have for years! It's only been 2 weeks since this has happened! One of my computers started not working about 5 months ago (my macbook air), but my Macbook pro was still working so I just used that instead! And then all of a sudden in the middle of watching a movie it croaks!

Nov 8, 2022 8:09 AM in response to flannelsallday

What is your model Apple TV? Identify your Apple TV model - Apple Support

Content providers may not support AirPlay (i.e. stream properties may not be compatible).

Content providers may choose to block AirPlay.

Content providers may choose to support AirPlay from their own app, but maybe not from web access.

Content providers may set minimum system requirements for the receiving device.

Netflix doesn’t support AirPlay since 2019.

Hulu says to require for AirPlay: a mobile sending device (not MacBook), and Apple TV (3rd generation or later) for receiving.

HBO Max says to require for AirPlay: a mobile sending device (not MacBook), and Apple TV (4th generation or later) for receiving. Xfinity doesn’t support AirPlay. YouTube should support AirPlay.

Airplay not showing video on streaming services?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.