Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Watch & Cellular Plan options

Greetings all!

I am curious about an issue I am running into with the cellular aspect of the Apple Watch. Specifically, the carrier and stand-alone plans. Here is an example. I recently moved back to T-Mobile as my carrier for a number of reasons, but I had no issue in porting my number back and getting set up on my iPhone 12 Pro Max. I added my Series 6 watch on their digits plan, and everything seems to be ok.

My wife is still using Google Fi as her provider on her iPhone 12 Pro Max. She has a Series 5 watch, also with cellular capability. What I have recently learned is that Google Fi does not support wearables. Further, due to what appears to be intentional design by Apple, you cannot use a different cellular provider with the watch if you are not using "the big 3" here in the US.

Despite this, T-Mobile offers a "stand-alone" data plan for wearables like the Apple Watch. So, we added service to her watch as a part of my account, but not on a "digits" line. It is a true stand-alone data/voice plan as far as I can tell.

The issue comes into play where in the Apple Watch app on her iPhone says because her carrier does not support a wearable (Google Fi) we cannot set up the data plan on her watch with T-Mobile. As far as I can tell, Apple does this intentionally, as the only other way to set up the watch would be to treat it as a device for "a family member" where the watch would then become an independent device, but then it would lose its ability to pair it with her phone and share activity data, etc.

So, my question is this... is there a way to achieve what we are trying to do? Which is to keep her phone on Google Fi, but have the watch with T-Mobile, or do I just have to move her back to T-Mo and then set up the watch on a digits line of service in order to be able to pair it with the phone properly?

Thank you, I would appreciate any constructive advice on this topic, particularly if there is a work-around to get the Apple Watch app to allow the cellular portion of the watch to set up on a carrier different from her phone.

Thanks in advance!

Apple Watch

Posted on Apr 8, 2021 7:40 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 8, 2021 8:24 AM

There is no workaround. Apple says that both iPhone and Watch are to be on the same carries.

You can always send your feedback directly to Apple Apple watch feedback

Similar questions

2 replies

Apr 9, 2021 3:25 PM in response to robroy90

You could use Apple Watch Family Plan, and have her Apple Watch treated as a childs Apple Watch paired to your iPhone. NOTE: This is some limitations as a child is not allowed access to some information and services that are part of your iPhone.

You could maybe use the Dual SIM capability of her iPhone 12 to add a 2nd line that you pair to the Apple Watch.

She could get a GPS only Apple Watch (or a cellular, but not activate the cellular radio):

The GPS only Apple Watch can do Everything the Cellular model can do AS LONG AS your iPhone is nearby, where nearby is generally somewhere in the same moderately sized home. The Cellular model allows you to leave your iPhone at home while you go for a walk, run, bike ride.

Watch & Cellular Plan options

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.