Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Macbook air won’t charge

My macbook air and my magsafe charger was in my bag when a beer can exploded in the bag (long story) and soaked everything. The macbook itself still works just fine... until it ran out of battery. I tried to recharge it but it wasn’t recharging. I assumed the problem was the charger itself so I have ordered a new one. It hasn’t arrived yet but can anyone tell me if the issue lies with the magsafe charger or with the macbook itself? I really cannot afford to buy a new laptop right now as i am a college student and could barely afford the laptop charger. I’m worried i’m going to have to replace the laptop itself. Has anyone had anything similar happen or can let me know? Like I said the display and feedback on the macbook air itself is perfect it’s literally just not charging.

MacBook Air 13″, macOS 10.13

Posted on Apr 8, 2021 9:20 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 8, 2021 11:01 AM

A beer can had never exploded on me however I loved the story. I have had the chargers go bad in the past for different reasons. You are right that it could be the charger itself or the MacBook Air. Since your MacBook Air is working, I recommend that you try the following and then try charging it with the same charger:

1. Reset SMC by following the directions applicable to your MacBook here ➔ How to Reset SMC. If that does not solve things then-
  2. Reset NVRAM/PRAM by following the directions applicable to your MacBook here ➔ How to Reset NVRAM/PRAM.

You could use a different charger and test as well. If you do not have another one then visit the local Apple Store and have them put the MacBook Air on a charger and see if that works to eliminate it from contention in this story.

Axel F.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 8, 2021 11:01 AM in response to jackpilch_

A beer can had never exploded on me however I loved the story. I have had the chargers go bad in the past for different reasons. You are right that it could be the charger itself or the MacBook Air. Since your MacBook Air is working, I recommend that you try the following and then try charging it with the same charger:

1. Reset SMC by following the directions applicable to your MacBook here ➔ How to Reset SMC. If that does not solve things then-
  2. Reset NVRAM/PRAM by following the directions applicable to your MacBook here ➔ How to Reset NVRAM/PRAM.

You could use a different charger and test as well. If you do not have another one then visit the local Apple Store and have them put the MacBook Air on a charger and see if that works to eliminate it from contention in this story.

Axel F.

Macbook air won’t charge

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.