Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Iphoto export unknown error

When I try to export photographs from Iphoto I receive the following:

“Export Complete with Errors”

“The export operation failed to create a file for the file for the photo identified below:”

“export unknown error (0)”

I am able to export via the menu item “Export Unmodified Original Photo For 1 Photo”  but not from “Export 1 Photo” This menu selection would include any edits that I have made to my photos.

MacBook Pro 15″, macOS 10.12

Posted on Apr 8, 2021 8:12 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 9, 2021 8:28 AM

OK - some other possible causes I am aware of, generally coming from Photos not being able to locate the original file:

• You are using iCloud photos with optimise mac storage switched on (though this doesn't usually impact exports.
  • You are using a referenced library (image files not stored inside the library), and photos has lost the link to the original on you disk.
  • You have your library stored on an external drive with an incompatible format (It must be APFS or MacOS extened (journaled) with the "ignore ownership" checkbox ticked.
  • Some files are now an incompatible format, or have an incompatible colour profile attached.

I would still try "revert to original" even if they are not edited files - if it is available.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 9, 2021 8:28 AM in response to SilverCloud1948

OK - some other possible causes I am aware of, generally coming from Photos not being able to locate the original file:

• You are using iCloud photos with optimise mac storage switched on (though this doesn't usually impact exports.
  • You are using a referenced library (image files not stored inside the library), and photos has lost the link to the original on you disk.
  • You have your library stored on an external drive with an incompatible format (It must be APFS or MacOS extened (journaled) with the "ignore ownership" checkbox ticked.
  • Some files are now an incompatible format, or have an incompatible colour profile attached.

I would still try "revert to original" even if they are not edited files - if it is available.

Apr 8, 2021 11:32 PM in response to SilverCloud1948

Hi

Are you actually using iPhoto as stated, or Photos. The reason I ask is you are in the forum for the Photos app, and Iphoto has been discontinued and undeveloped for some years.

Are all photos failing to export - or only some of them. It sounds (from the error) that most are exporting and there is only 1 or a few that are failing. Are you able to identify the ones that won't export?

If you can, the most likely cause is they have been edited in a different app (eg iPhoto or Aperture, and those edits are not compatible with the Photos app. In which case, the solution is to revert edits to original for those images (obviously in this case you also lose the edits.)

Apr 9, 2021 7:05 AM in response to TonyCollinet

Tony,

You are correct, I am using Photos.

This happens regardless of if I am trying to Export edited or non-Edited photos via the “Export 1 Photo” menu and with Catalina and now Big Sur. The photos are scanned from an Epson V800 scanner with Silverfast 8. Photos and taken with my iPhone. A few photos are abled to be exported but most are not. I cannot find a common thread as to why some are abled to be exported.

Thanks

Iphoto export unknown error

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.