Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

External drive file issues.

When I search for a video on my external drive it shows the video I searched for but when I click on it, a different video plays. How do I fix this issue?

Mac mini 2018 or later

Posted on Apr 9, 2021 12:58 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 9, 2021 1:17 PM

Rebuild your spotlight index.

go to the Spotlight system preference pane. There are two tabs. Search Results and Privacy, Go to the Privacy tab and add the external HD to the privacy list. This will delete the Spotlight index for the drive. I usually wait a couple of minutes before removing from the privacy list. Removing will have have Spotlight recreate itself.

I hope this helps.

Paul

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 9, 2021 1:17 PM in response to stewie34

Rebuild your spotlight index.

go to the Spotlight system preference pane. There are two tabs. Search Results and Privacy, Go to the Privacy tab and add the external HD to the privacy list. This will delete the Spotlight index for the drive. I usually wait a couple of minutes before removing from the privacy list. Removing will have have Spotlight recreate itself.

I hope this helps.

Paul

External drive file issues.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.