Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

File migration to new computer

Hello, I have a new iMac doing migration file transfer. I did not see the select the information you want to transfer on new computer. Old computer status is on transferring your information, new computer status show the home desktop but able to see the transfer manager. I'm not sure if files are being transferred. Should I stop the transfer process on the old compute? Please help

iMac, OS X 10.11

Posted on Apr 9, 2021 5:59 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 9, 2021 6:41 PM

Do NoT connect the two computers together. The most reliable, efficient and quickest method of migrating is to connect the old Macs Time Machine drive to the new mac. If you have not set up the new Mac year connect before starting up, when you start up it will launch Setup Assitant which will eventually ask if you are migrating, select Yes and follow the prompts.

if you already started the new Mac then launch Migration Assistant on the new Mac and follow then on screen directions. This works 100% of the time!!!!

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 9, 2021 6:41 PM in response to kobina128

Do NoT connect the two computers together. The most reliable, efficient and quickest method of migrating is to connect the old Macs Time Machine drive to the new mac. If you have not set up the new Mac year connect before starting up, when you start up it will launch Setup Assitant which will eventually ask if you are migrating, select Yes and follow the prompts.

if you already started the new Mac then launch Migration Assistant on the new Mac and follow then on screen directions. This works 100% of the time!!!!

File migration to new computer

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.