Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apple Watch cannot unmute

when I receive a phone call on my watch, I cannot hear the person unless I put the watch up against my ear. The microphone icon has a line thru it and if I press it, the icon is highlighted but still has the line and I cannot hear. The volume icon also has a line thru it. I’ve checked the mute button, airplane mode and and they are off. The volume control is all the way up. Can someone please help????

iPhone 11 Pro Max

Posted on Apr 9, 2021 9:10 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 10, 2021 2:54 AM

Which series do you have? Earlier models in particular had this issue sometimes. In any case, first try restarting the watch:

How to restart your Apple Watch - Apple Support

If that did not help, then unpair and erase the watch and set it up as new:

Unpair and erase your Apple Watch - Apple Support

7 replies

Apr 19, 2021 7:41 PM in response to better_half

Hi Better_half,

Thanks and the watch I am using now is series 5.

I have tried all the methods you mentioned.

I even restored to original setting and pair to phone again. But still the same result.

i realized the mic icon is having a cross line at below photo. Can you advise how to remove the cross line? I tried to hold for 10 seconds but the line is still there.

big thanks in advance!

After holding for 10 seconds.

Regards,

Phillip Lee

Apr 19, 2021 9:35 PM in response to Tahmooli

Hi Phillip,

When you are in that voicemail call, does scrolling the crown change the volume for you? Volume indicator should then show up as well.

That cross line over the mic is actually always there. Your mic is muted when you got that white background behind it.

Otherwise your mic is open.

If you have a session with Siri, is Siri picking up what you are saying? That would indicate your mic is OK from hardware point of view.

Apr 21, 2021 9:44 AM in response to better_half

Hi Better_half,

Q1:

crown change the volume for you?

Yes, the volume change by tuning the crown. Still not sound from the watch.

Q2:

cross line...

noted and I tried mute and unmute still the same results

Q3:

session with Siri,

yes I did that too and Siri able to type what I said. But there is still no sound when Siri responds to my request.

Do you think it the hardware issue?

I hope it not cause it only 1 and 1/2 year old 😞

Regards,

Phillip Lee

Apr 22, 2021 11:36 PM in response to Tahmooli

Well yes, if volume indicator goes up but you dont hear anything fro the watch perhaps the speaker is malfunctioning. Are the chimes and alerts coming thru? Is there a possibility that your watch is connected to a bluetooth speaker, just as air pods, and the sounds are redirected there? If you swipe up for control center and tap on the Audio icon there, what is that set to?

Apple Watch cannot unmute

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.