You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Car charger iPad Air 4

What do I use to charge my iPad Air 4 in my car and at airports?

iPad Air, iPadOS 14

Posted on Apr 10, 2021 7:14 AM

5 replies

Apr 13, 2021 4:22 PM in response to RegWal

You’ll need a suitable USB charging source. If your car does not have a USB charging outlet, you’ll very likely find that it has a 12V accessories power socket - into which you can insert a suitable USB charger.

Many USB chargers are available. You should chose one that is rated at 10-12W or greater. Here are two examples marketed by Apple:

• mophie USB-C Car Charger

https://store.apple.com/uk/xc/product/HN7Z2ZM/A

• mophie Dual (USB-C/USB-A) Car Charger

https://store.apple.com/uk/xc/product/HN822ZM/A

As for charging at Airports, for travellers the best solution is to carry a PowerBank - this being an external battery from which your iPad can be recharged when away from an AC Mains outlet. There are many third-party manufacturers that produce suitable PowerBank devices for iPad; whilst there are many from which to choose, you need to ensure that the model you choose is adequately powerful (with a big enough battery) for your needs.

Here is an example of one of the most powerful PowerBanks that can be carried onto a commercial aircraft (there are regulations on how much power (energy) that the battery is allowed to hold when carried on-board):

• mophie powerstation USB-C 3XL Battery

https://store.apple.com/uk/xc/product/HM8X2ZM/B

There are other less powerful options, but consider that smaller and less powerful will equate to longer iPad recharge times and shorter autonomy whilst away from an AC Power source.

At some airports, you will sometimes come across AC Power outlets, or USB charging points, in departure lounges. The former can obviously be used with your regular Power Adapter to charge your iPad. The latter should generally be avoided as they may pose a security risk to your iPad; consider that you are connecting your iPad (or other computing device) to an “untrustworthy” data connection.

Apr 14, 2021 4:25 AM in response to LotusPilot

Thanks, unfortunately the dual Morphie isn't available here in the States. Which now means two different car charges. One for the iPad and one for the iPhones. I'll look into getting the single. At airports I use PortaPow USB Data Blocker. But without a USB-C to USB adapter I won't be able to use most charging stations at the airport unless they have electric outlets. I have an Anker Powerbank but will have the same issue as the port is USB and won't accept the USB-C. Do you know of any adapter?

Thanks

Car charger iPad Air 4

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.