Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do delete the RAW in RAW+JPEG pair?

I shoot RAW+JPEG on my digital camera, and when I import these to my Photos app, both RAW+JPEG get imported, as expected.

I want to delete the RAW files, and the only suggested way I can find to do that is to export a photo (which then exports both RAW+JPEG versions), delete this photo from the Photos app, and then reimport just the JPEG. When I do this, I make sure to empty the recycle bin, so it's definitely gone from Photos.

When I try this, the RAW file gets reattached from somewhere (I assume an iCloud backup?). What do I do? Is there a way to purge the iCloud backup so that the RAW file doesn't automatically get re-added? Or should I wait a certain length of time before uploading the JPEG, so the RAW has had time to get properly deleted from any backups?

Posted on Apr 10, 2021 8:30 AM

Similar questions

6 replies

Apr 11, 2021 5:47 AM in response to JamesSchollum

An update:

I deleted the RAW files, and emptied the bin. I emptied the 'Recently Deleted' album in the Photos app. I restarted my computer. The JEPGs are in a folder on my desktop, and there are now RAW files saved anywhere on my computer.

I then tried to upload the JEPGs, and of course, the RAWs also appear out of nowhere (some iCloud back-up I assume).

I now have literally no way to get these JPEGs onto my Photos app without the RAW files also magically appearing, and taking up significant room.

Any help, from anyone, would be much appreciated!

Apr 11, 2021 9:55 AM in response to JamesSchollum

The only thing I can suggest is to try again - with just one photo to start with. After deleting in your mac photos app, check if it gets moved to the bin also in iCloud at www.icloud.com

Then check after emptying the bin if it is also removed on iCloud.

It might also be worth creating a new empty library - importing one raw/jpg pair image, and seeing if you get the same behaviour on a library not linked to iCloud

Apr 11, 2021 11:09 AM in response to TonyCollinet

Thanks for the suggestion. When you say the bin on icloud.com, do you mean the 'recently deleted' folder in Photos on icloud.com? I can't see a bin anywhere else on icloud.com

I wonder if there's a back-up somewhere on my computer of these files...?

I see that there are a few other threads of this same problem, none properly answered. I feel like Photos should have an options to split JPEGs and RAWs, rather than grouping them, and then the ability to delete them.

Any other suggestions are much appreciated!

How do delete the RAW in RAW+JPEG pair?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.