Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Turn off voice control for headphones

Hi, lately my bluetooth wireless headphones have been activating voice control when I accidentally press on them for too short a time, and even though I'm not saying anything, my phone randomly starts calling someone. Since the iPhone 12 doesn't have a button anymore, there is no way to stop this until the phone has already been calling someone for a while. This is obviously extremely annoying and means I can't use my headphones anymore. I have called several people on inconvenient times. It's disrespectful.

I have already disabled voice control and Siri in settings, but this doesn't turn off voice control for my headphones.

Two questions from me therefore:

1. is there any way I can turn off voice control for these headphones, and if not, is this something Apple is considering adding in a software update anytime soon?
  2. if I were to buy new earbuds, is there any brand/make that do have the option to turn off voice control on earbuds completely?

Posted on Apr 10, 2021 12:15 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 15, 2021 8:35 AM

Hi,

I've tried this with 2 different pairs of wireless headphones, and it happens with both sets. For some reason, both headphones seem to think I'm saying something and start calling people.

However, this is irrelevant to my questions:

Will there be a software update to completely turn off voice control when using headphones?

Is it possible to turn off voice control via headphones if I were to have Apple AirPods? Obviously, the brand I'm using now doesn't offer this option.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 15, 2021 8:35 AM in response to Brandon_J_321

Hi,

I've tried this with 2 different pairs of wireless headphones, and it happens with both sets. For some reason, both headphones seem to think I'm saying something and start calling people.

However, this is irrelevant to my questions:

Will there be a software update to completely turn off voice control when using headphones?

Is it possible to turn off voice control via headphones if I were to have Apple AirPods? Obviously, the brand I'm using now doesn't offer this option.

Apr 15, 2021 11:24 AM in response to michelisjd

michelisjd,

We appreciate you updating us with this information.

Unfortunately we can't speculate on what is included in updates, so we can't confirm that there will be an update to disable this; however, you can leave Product Feedback for this to be considered and reviewed if you like.

As for settings with the AirPods, you can review the settings that you can change with the following resource:

Change the settings of your AirPods and AirPods Pro

We hope this is able to help.

Cheers!

Apr 12, 2021 11:43 AM in response to michelisjd

Good Afternoon michelisjd,

We see that you're having a problem with Voice Control unexpectedly activating when using Bluetooth headphones. We'd like to see how we can help, as we can understand how this can be inconvenient.

In order to best answer your questions, we have a few questions of our own to help isolate this behavior you're running into.

-Can you tell us which set of Bluetooth headphones you're using that are experiencing this behavior?

-Does this behavior happen with any Bluetooth headphones, or just a certain set?

-Does this happen with a wired headset at all?

We'd like to also share this article with you Turn off Classic Voice Control on your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch, which states, "If you're using a headset, and it unexpectedly activates Siri or Classic Voice Control, make sure that your headset is fully inserted into the device.

If you have a loose or poor headset connection, frayed cables, or moisture on the connector or remote, it might unexpectedly activate Siri or Classic Voice Control. If the issue persists, try using a different headset."

If you're using a set of third-party Bluetooth headphones, it would be worth checking in with that manufacturer to confirm if there are any separate controls/settings that would help prevent this behavior from occurring.

We look forward to hearing back from you, if you need continued support.

Have a great day!

Turn off voice control for headphones

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.