Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Editing photos won't save after upgrade to OS Sierra

After loading OS Sierra my photos Sierra rearranged them and when I tried to drop in editing and pressed Done, it went back to the original photo. I didn't have aa problem before I upgraded to Sierra. Is it me or Sierra? Can anyone help please?

iMac 21.5″, macOS 10.12

Posted on Apr 10, 2021 4:46 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 11, 2021 10:39 AM

OK

Apps like MacKeeper are generally held (round here) to be counterproductive. They can't "clean" a mac better than MacOS does itself, and often cause damage. In particular duplicate file removal can damage photos libraries, because a photo library has (and needs) multiple versions of the same file: Original, previews, thumbnails etc. If a file duplicate remover removes any of these the library will be damaged.

I would suggest removing Mackeeper, and App cleaner (especially if it has any automatic functions),

Then try creating a new empty library (hold down the option key while starting photos, and click create new. Name it somthing like test library. Import some images in to it, and see if it behaves correctly, wihtout the problems you are seeing. This will tell us if the problem is with photos app, or something specific with the library.

By the way - you can also check with the library chooser where you library is stored.

if the test library works, I would next try booting into safe mode and trying your standard libary (you will need to change to that from the test library using the option key start again). See how to start your mac in safe mode:

https://support.apple.com/en-gb/guide/mac-help/mh21245/mac

If safe mode still shows the fault, then we may need to try a library repair. You will need to backup the library first - ideally by using time machine (macs built in backup software) to backup to an external drive. You will need a large and empty external drive for this. If that is not possible, then you can drag the library (it should be in the pictures folder) to an external drive.

then trying a library repair: (You will need plenty of free space on your drive for this to work, and it can take a long time - especially if your library is large). See instructions at the bottom of this user tip from leonie for how to repair the library. (in fact it is worth reading the whole user tip)

https://discussions.apple.com/docs/DOC-250002264

Similar questions

13 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 11, 2021 10:39 AM in response to Violet2025

OK

Apps like MacKeeper are generally held (round here) to be counterproductive. They can't "clean" a mac better than MacOS does itself, and often cause damage. In particular duplicate file removal can damage photos libraries, because a photo library has (and needs) multiple versions of the same file: Original, previews, thumbnails etc. If a file duplicate remover removes any of these the library will be damaged.

I would suggest removing Mackeeper, and App cleaner (especially if it has any automatic functions),

Then try creating a new empty library (hold down the option key while starting photos, and click create new. Name it somthing like test library. Import some images in to it, and see if it behaves correctly, wihtout the problems you are seeing. This will tell us if the problem is with photos app, or something specific with the library.

By the way - you can also check with the library chooser where you library is stored.

if the test library works, I would next try booting into safe mode and trying your standard libary (you will need to change to that from the test library using the option key start again). See how to start your mac in safe mode:

https://support.apple.com/en-gb/guide/mac-help/mh21245/mac

If safe mode still shows the fault, then we may need to try a library repair. You will need to backup the library first - ideally by using time machine (macs built in backup software) to backup to an external drive. You will need a large and empty external drive for this. If that is not possible, then you can drag the library (it should be in the pictures folder) to an external drive.

then trying a library repair: (You will need plenty of free space on your drive for this to work, and it can take a long time - especially if your library is large). See instructions at the bottom of this user tip from leonie for how to repair the library. (in fact it is worth reading the whole user tip)

https://discussions.apple.com/docs/DOC-250002264

Apr 11, 2021 1:02 AM in response to Violet2025

Hi - to help with diagnosis - can you answer the following?

• What version of MacOS did you upgrade from?
  • Where is the library stored (System drive or external drive)? If external - what is the format of the drive?
  • Is the library on a network drive or in some sort of cloud storage (EG Dropbox or NAS)?
  • Have you used any apps to remove duplicates, if so, which?
  • Have you used any "clean up" or "speed up" apps
  • Do you use Icloud to sync photos?
  • If so, do you have optimise local storage set?
  • Are your files imported into photos (photos preferences general) or left as referenced files?
  • How do you backup your Mac?

Apr 11, 2021 9:59 AM in response to TonyCollinet

Thanks, I will try to answer your questions, but although I am computer literate, using Office, internet and email etc, when it comes to the more technical areas I am not very able. Sorry you will probably want to hide under your desk when you read this!

• It was El Capitan
  • I assume my photo library is stored on the system drive
  • Although I have Dropbox, I never use it and when I have imported photos from my iPhone I always refuse to use it
  • This bit is a bit of a long winded thing but may explain some of the problems? Before I upgraded to Sierra I used to have MacKeeper and decided to renew my account with them. After renewal some of their systems did not work, which they freely admitted and offered free advice from one of their tech guys, who also could not load some of their programmes & eventually told me that my Safari had a virus and if I didn't pay for their higher level support that my Safari would fail. I was not happy with that as I was and my payment was returned. I then looked for another antivirus app and found that Kaspersky seemed a good alternative, had a free trial and is supposed to be quick and easy to install but had to upgrade my operating system to Os Sierra, which took several hours, in fact took 2 days. It completely slowed my mac down and affected my internet access so I had to use my phone to look for asked them for help. This resulted in them telling me to uninstall and reinstall Kaspersky, copy a link which did not work and various other measures but none got things repaired. I used chat & phone but all to no avail, so I uninstalled the app and everything went back to normal except for the effects Sierra had, as in rearranging the way my photos worked
  • After this I down loaded AppCleaner to get rid of the Kaspersky and other information that was still showing on my system, even after installing them.
  • As far as I am aware I don't sync photos to iCloud, but it may happen without my telling it to
  • I don't import files into photos, only photos from my iPhone and scan photos and sometimes documents into photos
  • I only backed up when changing from El Capitan to Sierra, and can't remember how to back up now
  • Thanks if you can help but no worries if you can't

Apr 11, 2021 10:45 AM in response to Violet2025

I found that AppCleaner is a very good app at removing apps and their supporting files. However:

WARNING: If you use AppCleaner on an app that you have other apps from the same developer, like Adobe, you must be extremely careful checking all checkboxes and deleting.  Some for those files may support other apps from the same developer and deleting them can mess them up.  Adobe apps is a primary example. I know from experience.  For singular apps from a developer it's safe.

Apr 11, 2021 11:07 AM in response to TonyCollinet

Thank you, I will try the suggestions, I have got an external drive which I never use, although I do have a lot (I mean A Lot!) of photos on my mac! (I've had this mac from new since about 2011 and don't know which is the "option" key, as there are the fn (I assume that's function), ctrl (assume that's control) alt (not sure) and cmd - I know that's command!

You still might want to hide under your desk! But thank you I'll try things

Apr 12, 2021 7:11 PM in response to TonyCollinet

Hi again, just a quick reply, MacKeeper removed and I tried the above but holding down the Option key and opening Photos didn't work, so couldn't create a test library. Also, following the link to find out how to start in safe mode also was a problem as it didn't offer Sierra for instructions. Also, as you might have noticed, I didn't know anything about Time Machine so don't know how to use it.

Sorry, I've had my mac for years but never found out what most of the functions do, apart from browsing, email, spreadsheets, Word etc, so probably seem like a newby to anyone who is more knowledgeable.

Apr 12, 2021 11:19 PM in response to Violet2025

Hi - don't worry, we were all newbies once. And this place is for newbies as much as anyone else. Don't worry about time machine - that is a discussion for later when we've got things working.

For the option launch:

Make sure photos is shut down.

Press (AND HOLD) the option key. Click the photos icon. Don't release the option key until the library chooser panel has come up.

For safe mode, it is the same for sierra as on the versions the help page shows (you have an intel mac). Here is a link to a youtube vidoe that demonstrates it very helpfully, and is specific to Sierra.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HChg7J0oP4I

Apr 13, 2021 12:36 AM in response to Violet2025

Violet2025 wrote:

After loading OS Sierra my photos Sierra rearranged them and when I tried to drop in editing and pressed Done, it went back to the original photo.

Violet, can you also tell us bait more about what kind of editing you have tried? I am not sure what you mean by "drop in editing"?

Have you used the adjustment panel in Photos to crop or straighten it, or to enhance the colours for similar? Or have you used an external editor?

Apr 13, 2021 2:09 AM in response to léonie

Thanks, I actually meant to say Crop, not Drop, in the edit facility. So I opened Photos and double clicked the photo I wanted to alter then clicked Edit then clicked Crop. I cropped the photo and clicked Done but instead of the usual effect of a new altered picture it reverted straight away back to the original without any cropping.

Editing photos won't save after upgrade to OS Sierra

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.