Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Newsroom Update

Apple and Google deliver support for unwanted tracking alerts in iOS and Android. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Keep my kids on Find My..

How do I use screen time controls to prevent my kids from disabling location sharing? The menu in iOS 14 looks different and the option is ambiguous...

iPhone 8, iOS 14

Posted on Apr 10, 2021 8:44 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 11, 2021 8:12 AM

The linked article describes the settings on the child’s device, which are different from controlling screen time settings from a family organizer point of vantage. However, (fruitless searching) some trial and error later, I figured out the strange menu wording, so I’ll answer my question here:

On the *Family Organizer’s* device— Under Screen Time > (Family Member) > Content & Privacy Restrictions [On] > subheading “Privacy” > Share My Location [Don’t Allow]

It seemed to me this meant they couldn’t continue to share their location, since the *next* subheading is titled “Allow Changes” with Allow/Don’t Allow options. Actually the opposite, it locks the setting as is.

Hopefully that helps someone who was trying to do it from their own device. Seems silly to word it as is, but oh well. And yes — anyone could turn off their phone. But that would defeat the purpose of having a phone. 🙃

(Half of the time we’re all just saying, “Hey, could you ring me??”)

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 11, 2021 8:12 AM in response to javaliga

The linked article describes the settings on the child’s device, which are different from controlling screen time settings from a family organizer point of vantage. However, (fruitless searching) some trial and error later, I figured out the strange menu wording, so I’ll answer my question here:

On the *Family Organizer’s* device— Under Screen Time > (Family Member) > Content & Privacy Restrictions [On] > subheading “Privacy” > Share My Location [Don’t Allow]

It seemed to me this meant they couldn’t continue to share their location, since the *next* subheading is titled “Allow Changes” with Allow/Don’t Allow options. Actually the opposite, it locks the setting as is.

Hopefully that helps someone who was trying to do it from their own device. Seems silly to word it as is, but oh well. And yes — anyone could turn off their phone. But that would defeat the purpose of having a phone. 🙃

(Half of the time we’re all just saying, “Hey, could you ring me??”)

Keep my kids on Find My..

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.