Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Dead iMac (Lazarus)

I have an iMac which regularly dies. Usually, but not always after a momentary power cut. I no longer dare to turn it off in case it doesn’t turn on again. The screen goes blank and it won’t turn on. After an unspecified number of days it does turn on and works perfectly normally. Last time is happened I took into into my local apple approved repairer, paid the best part of £100 for a diagnosis and the could find nothing wrong with it. When I brought it home it would not turn on. I tried it in several different sockets, still no joy. I carried it into another room to try a different circuit, still no joy. I brought it back to my desk and plugged it to a socket I had already tried and it worked. So it looks as if moving it sometimes helps (a car journey to the repairer, moving it round the house...). It has happened again this morning and moving it hasn’t worked (so far). I see no point in taking it back to the repairer as they will just put it back to factory settings and have already been unable to identify any problem.

Any suggestions at how my iLazarus can be brought back to life permanently will be very gratefully received.

iMac 27″ 5K, macOS 11.2

Posted on Apr 11, 2021 1:08 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 11, 2021 6:32 AM

Internal Mac electrical problems cannot be solved here other than by recommendation to schedule an appointment with an Apple Store, or Apple Authorized Service provider. If your Mac is 7 years or older, the previously mentioned sources will not touch it.

Similar questions

11 replies

Apr 11, 2021 7:47 AM in response to Lazarus2021

What you have described is an electrical issue of some sort and that cannot be resolved though this community. If you can power it on long enough, you can try an SMC and NVRAM reset, but those are low percentage likelihood fixes. Prior to this misadventure, had you changed anything on the Mac (e.g. RAM, internal Storage)?

The other possibility is your internal storage and for that you boot into Recovery (⌘+R) and run Disk Utility First Aid until you get a green bill of health. Then reboot and observe.

Back to my original recommendation. If you are taking the Mac to a non-Apple Authorized Service provider, they may not find anything wrong because they lack the training.

Apr 11, 2021 7:56 AM in response to VikingOSX

I took it to an accredited dealer who had it for a week and found nothing wrong so I’m sure you will understand why I am reluctant to do that again. I was hoping that there would be someone in the community who could give me more of an idea so if I do decide to take it to an accredited dealer I can point them in the right direction. Thanks for your help.

Apr 11, 2021 8:26 AM in response to den.thed

I think it’s 3 years old. I have never changed anything, I wouldn’t dare.

power cord is in firmly. It is plugged into surge protector and sockets are tight. I have tried in different sockets, directly into the wall socket and into a wall socket in another room (so on a different circuit, before you suggest I rewire the house).

I have trawled back through the correspondence with the accredited repairer and they ran Apples hardware diagnostic suite which did not identify any hardware issues.

i could just invite some burglars round but I really would like to understand what the problem is. I am reasonably confident that if I leave it for a few days or weeks it will eventually work again. It always has before.

Apr 11, 2021 9:05 AM in response to den.thed

I’m sure you’re right, an I suspect that ultimately I will take it to the nearest apple store, which is even more inconvenient than the accredited dealer but would be cheaper than buying a new one. I’m just reluctant to throw good money after bad. And I had swallowed the marketing that an accredited repairer would be as good as Apple.

Thanks for your help.

Dead iMac (Lazarus)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.