Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

My 15” MacBook pro has an annoying issue; it will either stop suddenly and will not restart, or when I try to boot up after previously running, OK will not restart. In both instances, there is a black screen, and the fan is running. I can stop the

My 15” MacBook pro has an annoying issue; it will either stop suddenly and will not restart, or when I try to boot up after previously running, OK will not restart. In both instances, there is a black screen, and the fan is running. 

I can stop the fan running with the on/off button. If left untouched for a while, the computer will boot up all OK as though nothing had happened. The MacBook is not overheating as I have an external fan.

What can be causing this?

Posted on Apr 11, 2021 3:44 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 11, 2021 3:55 AM

Startup in Safe Mode. https://support.apple.com/en-gb/HT201262

To leave Safe Mode, click Apple logo  in the menu bar and choose “Restart”.

Reset PRAM:  Reset NVRAM or PRAM on your Mac - Apple Support

Reset  SMC:   How to reset the SMC of your Mac - Apple Support   Choose the appropriate method.

Resetting the system management controller (SMC) can resolve certain issues related to power, battery, fans, and other features.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 11, 2021 3:55 AM in response to Jakartasaint

Startup in Safe Mode. https://support.apple.com/en-gb/HT201262

To leave Safe Mode, click Apple logo  in the menu bar and choose “Restart”.

Reset PRAM:  Reset NVRAM or PRAM on your Mac - Apple Support

Reset  SMC:   How to reset the SMC of your Mac - Apple Support   Choose the appropriate method.

Resetting the system management controller (SMC) can resolve certain issues related to power, battery, fans, and other features.

My 15” MacBook pro has an annoying issue; it will either stop suddenly and will not restart, or when I try to boot up after previously running, OK will not restart. In both instances, there is a black screen, and the fan is running. I can stop the

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.