Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Use of external HD? Or iCloud?

Recently, I upgraded from an older MacBook Pro to a new 16" variety of the same. I had been using a much older AirPort Capsule (looks like a white tombstone) but I noticed that Apple neither manufactures nor supports them any longer -- and they are intolerably slow. That said, in the process of preparing for the transfer of data to the new laptop I added a small, portable (LaCie) hard-drive. It's incredibly faster but I think it's not a long-term solution. I don't want to trust the whole works to such a device. (It's already showing phantom icons of the Time Machine LaCie on my desktop, which bothers and confuses me.)

• Is the best solution another, larger device tethered to my MacBook Pro or use the Apple iCloud?
  • The largest volume available on the Apple cloud seems to be 200GB which is less than the content of my HD. Do I need to only store apps, Document files, photos, email, and browser data, etc. in the cloud? Or does the OS need backing up, as well. IF the latter, where should I go to find cloud space to back it all up?
  • How does one actually do the back-up to the iCloud? (i.e., what is the step-by-step)?

Many thanks,

Chris Miller

MacBook Pro 16″, macOS 11.2

Posted on Apr 11, 2021 9:21 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 11, 2021 10:52 AM

I've been using clones for years and find them far more helpful (if there is a problem) than any other backup.

However, there is a "hiccup" with Big Sur: due to the changes in the OS, you can no longer do a simple one step backup clone. With CarbonCopyCloner, there are clear instructions on how to overcome this: you can clone your Data folder, but need to download/install the OS. SuperDuper has some "work around" instructions in their blog, but they are not that clear to me - which is why I am sticking with CarbonCopyCloner.

On the other hand, there is Time Machine - which is great, but is not a bootable clone.

As for iCloud: I would not depend on it since it is a syncing process; and, I would not trust my private data to any nameless online server. FWIW, I've got 7 external hard drives/SSDs with at least 2 clones of each OS as well as at least 3 copies of my important data scattered across the externals and their partitions.

Similar questions

7 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 11, 2021 10:52 AM in response to dchrismiller

I've been using clones for years and find them far more helpful (if there is a problem) than any other backup.

However, there is a "hiccup" with Big Sur: due to the changes in the OS, you can no longer do a simple one step backup clone. With CarbonCopyCloner, there are clear instructions on how to overcome this: you can clone your Data folder, but need to download/install the OS. SuperDuper has some "work around" instructions in their blog, but they are not that clear to me - which is why I am sticking with CarbonCopyCloner.

On the other hand, there is Time Machine - which is great, but is not a bootable clone.

As for iCloud: I would not depend on it since it is a syncing process; and, I would not trust my private data to any nameless online server. FWIW, I've got 7 external hard drives/SSDs with at least 2 clones of each OS as well as at least 3 copies of my important data scattered across the externals and their partitions.

Apr 11, 2021 9:31 AM in response to dchrismiller

Set up iCloud on all your devices

iCloud is more a conduit to be used to Syncing devices and not really an Extra Storage in the context of a means to Backup the full Internal Drive. For that, Time Machine is a very good option and Add to the Rescue Plan are two TESTED Bootable Clones each to Separate External Drives. The TESTED Clones are not implied but real time tested. and even an Off Site for a Third - Fires, Floods etc. There are Cloning software available like Carbon Copy Cloner and SuperDuper for that very purpose.

Apr 12, 2021 9:52 AM in response to dchrismiller

sounds good!

The difference with a clone is: if there is a problem, you can plug it into your Mac and restart using the clone as a startup disk. It will function exactly like your internal disk. So, if you have a super slow older hard drive in your Mac, you can actually use it for day to day work (and use the internal as a backup for instance. Or, you encounter a problem with your hard disk, you can simply boot into your clone, wipe your internal, and clone your system back. It is an easier and faster way to keep working.

Use of external HD? Or iCloud?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.