Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Inserting a footnote in a Pages document

I want to insert a footnote in a pages document. I know you have to click "footnotes" at the top of the sidebar, and that the word "footnotes" isn't normally visible there, but what do you do to make it appear? I found a conversation that said you first have to have a footnote. But you can't have a footnote if you have been unable to enter one because of the absence of the "footnotes" button in the sidebar. Seems like a catch 22 situation to me. Can anyone help please? I'm sure there's a simple way through this but I can't see it.

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 11.2

Posted on Apr 11, 2021 11:56 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 11, 2021 1:46 PM

You place your cursor behind the word where you want to place a footnote, and then insert the footnote. The format panel will immediately change to show two tabs: Text and Footnotes. You either insert a footnote from the Insert menu, or the Insert toolbar item. Those are the only two sources that will result in the first and second sentences.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 11, 2021 1:46 PM in response to Jim_app1e

You place your cursor behind the word where you want to place a footnote, and then insert the footnote. The format panel will immediately change to show two tabs: Text and Footnotes. You either insert a footnote from the Insert menu, or the Insert toolbar item. Those are the only two sources that will result in the first and second sentences.

Inserting a footnote in a Pages document

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.