Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Gaming performance

I have a MacbookAir M1 2020 . Does playing a game like Dota2 slow down or affect my laptop's performance in the long run ?

MacBook Air 13″, macOS 11.2

Posted on Apr 11, 2021 11:53 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 12, 2021 8:48 AM

I did some research for you and what I found is that Dota 2 is exclusively written for the Intel processor. Your M1 MacBook Air has the M1 Processor (ARM based). Your M1 MacBook Air uses Rosetta 2 to interface between the Intel and M1 language. Below is how Dota 2 performs under this setup: (Courtesy of ➔ macgamerhq.com)

Dota 2 M1 Mac benchmarks

These are the Dota 2 M1 benchmarks we have gathered so far:

BenchmarksMedium Settings & 900pMax Settings & 900pMax Settings & 1280pMacBook Air (M1, 2020) 74 FPS 59FPS 45FPS

As a reminder, this is how we describe the different levels of performance:

• Below 20 FPSUnplayable: Laggy gameplay, full of stutters and slowdowns.
  • 20-30 FPS: Borderline: Can be OK in slow-paced games. Still, not optimal.
  • 30-45 FPS: Playable: Acceptable for most (most gaming consoles do this).
  • 45-60 FPS: Smooth: Fluid gameplay, with no perceivable stutters.
  • 60+ FPS: Very Smooth: For hardcore and professional players, a luxury for most.

We usually aim for 30 FPS, because 30 FPS is enough to guarantee a smooth and fluid experience for most casual gamers.

What all of the above means is that Dota 2 will run just fine on your M1 MacBook Air,

Axel F.

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 12, 2021 8:48 AM in response to Lucky_kr

I did some research for you and what I found is that Dota 2 is exclusively written for the Intel processor. Your M1 MacBook Air has the M1 Processor (ARM based). Your M1 MacBook Air uses Rosetta 2 to interface between the Intel and M1 language. Below is how Dota 2 performs under this setup: (Courtesy of ➔ macgamerhq.com)

Dota 2 M1 Mac benchmarks

These are the Dota 2 M1 benchmarks we have gathered so far:

BenchmarksMedium Settings & 900pMax Settings & 900pMax Settings & 1280pMacBook Air (M1, 2020) 74 FPS 59FPS 45FPS

As a reminder, this is how we describe the different levels of performance:

• Below 20 FPSUnplayable: Laggy gameplay, full of stutters and slowdowns.
  • 20-30 FPS: Borderline: Can be OK in slow-paced games. Still, not optimal.
  • 30-45 FPS: Playable: Acceptable for most (most gaming consoles do this).
  • 45-60 FPS: Smooth: Fluid gameplay, with no perceivable stutters.
  • 60+ FPS: Very Smooth: For hardcore and professional players, a luxury for most.

We usually aim for 30 FPS, because 30 FPS is enough to guarantee a smooth and fluid experience for most casual gamers.

What all of the above means is that Dota 2 will run just fine on your M1 MacBook Air,

Axel F.

Gaming performance

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.