Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Will gaming on my MacAir reduce its lifespan?

Will playing video games on my Macbook Air 2017, running High sierra, reduce its lifespan?

If so, what does gaming do that affects the lifespan of a Macbook? What part of the computer will be affected?

And what stuff can I do to increase the lifespan of my MacBook that I mainly use for Gaming?

MacBook Air 13″, macOS 10.13

Posted on Aug 27, 2022 6:17 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 27, 2022 5:45 PM

Your question is an imponderable - I don't think there can be a "usual" in computer use. Everyone uses the hardware in different ways. One measure, for what it is worth, is that in business it is, or at least was, common for computers to be replaced every three years. Having said that, this was more often that not for bargain basement Windows computers for which you wouldn't expect a great deal anyway.

I can tell you this - I've used my ageing iMac every day for six years often for intensive A/V work and it's still doing well, although my plan is that it will be replaced with the next released iMac.

You can look forward to a long-term use of your Mac; they are built to last. The investment you made getting it will reward you with many years of use. I have a number of older MacBook Pros - one 12 years old - which family members have retired when they bought new Macs and all of them are still performing well, apart from not being able to run anything beyond High Sierra, the 2017 release of macOS.

Just keep your Mac up to date, power cycle the battery regularly, and enjoy using it. At some point you will find that it is beginning to cope less well with new games and software of the day. That is the time to activate your hardware upgrade path to a new Mac, but that day is some way off yet.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 27, 2022 5:45 PM in response to Cyflor-N-Ac

Your question is an imponderable - I don't think there can be a "usual" in computer use. Everyone uses the hardware in different ways. One measure, for what it is worth, is that in business it is, or at least was, common for computers to be replaced every three years. Having said that, this was more often that not for bargain basement Windows computers for which you wouldn't expect a great deal anyway.

I can tell you this - I've used my ageing iMac every day for six years often for intensive A/V work and it's still doing well, although my plan is that it will be replaced with the next released iMac.

You can look forward to a long-term use of your Mac; they are built to last. The investment you made getting it will reward you with many years of use. I have a number of older MacBook Pros - one 12 years old - which family members have retired when they bought new Macs and all of them are still performing well, apart from not being able to run anything beyond High Sierra, the 2017 release of macOS.

Just keep your Mac up to date, power cycle the battery regularly, and enjoy using it. At some point you will find that it is beginning to cope less well with new games and software of the day. That is the time to activate your hardware upgrade path to a new Mac, but that day is some way off yet.

Aug 27, 2022 6:53 AM in response to Cyflor-N-Ac

Using a device will shorten its lifespan, but unless you want to keep it in a box that's what you'd expect to happen.

The greatest dangers of gaming well into the night are dropping pizza on the screen or a fizzy drink into the keyboard. Best avoid food altogether. Otherwise, go for you life.

Be aware of Apple's notes on battery use under Optimise your battery life in Get help with your Mac notebook battery.

Will gaming on my MacAir reduce its lifespan?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.