Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

FaceID won’t work because it needs to cool down

Hello,

I have an iPhone XR which is 20 months old.

My FaceID has stopped working because it says it needs to cool down. My phone is not warmer, however the front facing camera does feel slightly hotter than usual.

I have tried to eliminate the problem by turning off Bluetooth, doing a soft reset, updating all apps, making sure software is up to date, removing screen protector and case etc. However not any of these actions has resolved the issue.

I wouldn’t be completely opposed to doing a factory reset, but my iCloud is full so I would lose a fair amount which isn’t backed up. Therefore I would only like to do this if absolutely necessary. Having read through posts from other users reporting similar issues, it appears a factory reset would not be the resolution.

Does anyone have any ideas? Again phone working fine, no issues, but FaceID will not work until the phone cools down... yet the phone isn’t hot.

Thanks in advance!

iPhone XR

Posted on Apr 12, 2021 8:44 AM

Similar questions

4 replies

Apr 12, 2021 8:52 AM in response to Lautar212

Is this the first time this has happened? Did you just pull it off the charger? A factory reset would more than likely not resolve this issue.

After reading your troubleshooting steps, it seems you did everything I would have suggested. Is your FaceID still unavailable?

Turn off your phone for a short period of time... ~15 minutes to let it cool down and see if the issue comes back.

Apr 12, 2021 10:36 AM in response to Cruzermur

I’m back again! After turning my phone off and leaving it in a cool place, my FaceID worked successfully the first time I tried to use it. The second time I went to use it, FaceID did not work and the camera at the front felt significantly warmer already. I repeated this three times and can confirm that my front facing camera is heating up.

Would you please happen to have any idea as to why this may be happening, and any recommendations as to how to fix it?

FaceID won’t work because it needs to cool down

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.