Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Remove xxxx@icloud.com email from my Apple ID

I set up an Apple ID using my gmail email years ago. At some point afterwards I accidentally created and then associated a xxxx@icloud.com email address using my wife's name as the the email. I think at the time I thought was logged into her account setting things up which I wasn't!!

I have ignored it up until now as I have not needed a new email address however I would like to start using an iCloud email. Is there a way I can delete the xxxx@icloud.com email which is currently associated with my apple id. There doesn't seem to be an option to delete it from the account.

Ultimately I'd like to associate a different iCloud email to my account.

Thanks for any help.

Posted on Apr 12, 2021 1:46 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 12, 2021 10:40 PM

Long back you created a web mail account with gmail services say example1@gmail.com and used this as an Apple ID to sign in Mac system preferences ( the account was initially set up with secondary authentication in which three answers for respective questions , date of birth , rescue mail address and its password , credit card added as optional ) .

After that you signed out the Apple ID and created an Apple ID say example2@icloud.com and started using the Mac .

Now , you can't sign out Apple ID as password is not known to you Sign out of iCloud on your iPhone, iPad, iPod touch, Apple TV, or Mac - Apple Support

If you have always set up iCloud Keychain Set up iCloud Keychain - Apple Support the password for both gmail address and iCloud address can still be found only by an administrator View the information stored in a keychain on Mac - Apple Support

Now coming to your gmail address that is an Apple ID used with iCloud services what is the status on iCloud server https://iforgot.apple.com/appleid#!&section=appleid

And also link is applicable for Apple ID example2@icloud.com if the id exists a green check mark will appear once you enter the credentials in the link .

Before signing out Apple ID go to appleid.apple.com can you sign in with three correct answers for respective questions and access the account , knowing rescue mail address and its password and using a rescue mail address to reset Apple ID password will work , but most important is answers for security questions and date of birth added in the account , you have to check all these .

If you have all incorrect credentials in records , don't sign out Apple ID from Mac , however a trick is used open system preferences > Apple ID > password and security what is the status do it show 2FA as on or in Mac system preferences >in front of keychain box that should be always checked > if options button is shown it means secondary authentication is set up , if options button is not shown it means account is set with 2FA , you must have working trusted numbers verified in the account

If you want to recover gmail account https://support.google.com/accounts/answer/7682439?hl=en

In case if you also discontinued the trusted number .

The Apple ID created with gmail account say example1@gmail.com was permanently deleted from the gmail server , and if the account was set up with secondary authentication , the administrator can’t sign with iCloud account.

Sign in with rescue mail address in gmail account ( enter the password ) , click on personal info .

Click on edit , and try to add a new trusted number .

And can't further move , the bell icon will shake and stop and if you click on send the code that will go to the old trusted number that is inactive .

Click on more ways to verify , it again prompted to enter rescue mail address and password , Scroll down and click on account recovery icon , then add a new trusted number and click on next , the trusted number will add , the trick was using the rescue mail address that was attached to the primary mail address .

The last way is if you don't have any credentials convert the account into 2FA Use two-factor authentication for security on your Mac, iOS devices, and iPadOS devices - Apple Support

And to change Apple ID sign out Apple ID from system preferences or Change your Apple ID - Apple Support

What to do after you change your Apple ID or password - Apple Support

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 12, 2021 10:40 PM in response to Trystan1979

Long back you created a web mail account with gmail services say example1@gmail.com and used this as an Apple ID to sign in Mac system preferences ( the account was initially set up with secondary authentication in which three answers for respective questions , date of birth , rescue mail address and its password , credit card added as optional ) .

After that you signed out the Apple ID and created an Apple ID say example2@icloud.com and started using the Mac .

Now , you can't sign out Apple ID as password is not known to you Sign out of iCloud on your iPhone, iPad, iPod touch, Apple TV, or Mac - Apple Support

If you have always set up iCloud Keychain Set up iCloud Keychain - Apple Support the password for both gmail address and iCloud address can still be found only by an administrator View the information stored in a keychain on Mac - Apple Support

Now coming to your gmail address that is an Apple ID used with iCloud services what is the status on iCloud server https://iforgot.apple.com/appleid#!&section=appleid

And also link is applicable for Apple ID example2@icloud.com if the id exists a green check mark will appear once you enter the credentials in the link .

Before signing out Apple ID go to appleid.apple.com can you sign in with three correct answers for respective questions and access the account , knowing rescue mail address and its password and using a rescue mail address to reset Apple ID password will work , but most important is answers for security questions and date of birth added in the account , you have to check all these .

If you have all incorrect credentials in records , don't sign out Apple ID from Mac , however a trick is used open system preferences > Apple ID > password and security what is the status do it show 2FA as on or in Mac system preferences >in front of keychain box that should be always checked > if options button is shown it means secondary authentication is set up , if options button is not shown it means account is set with 2FA , you must have working trusted numbers verified in the account

If you want to recover gmail account https://support.google.com/accounts/answer/7682439?hl=en

In case if you also discontinued the trusted number .

The Apple ID created with gmail account say example1@gmail.com was permanently deleted from the gmail server , and if the account was set up with secondary authentication , the administrator can’t sign with iCloud account.

Sign in with rescue mail address in gmail account ( enter the password ) , click on personal info .

Click on edit , and try to add a new trusted number .

And can't further move , the bell icon will shake and stop and if you click on send the code that will go to the old trusted number that is inactive .

Click on more ways to verify , it again prompted to enter rescue mail address and password , Scroll down and click on account recovery icon , then add a new trusted number and click on next , the trusted number will add , the trick was using the rescue mail address that was attached to the primary mail address .

The last way is if you don't have any credentials convert the account into 2FA Use two-factor authentication for security on your Mac, iOS devices, and iPadOS devices - Apple Support

And to change Apple ID sign out Apple ID from system preferences or Change your Apple ID - Apple Support

What to do after you change your Apple ID or password - Apple Support

Remove xxxx@icloud.com email from my Apple ID

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.