Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

icloud photos

I purchased 2TB of iCloud storage to store my photo library. I checked off all the boxes to indicate I want photos stored in the Cloud and not on my Macbook. I can't seem to figure this out.

Online, this is what my storage looks like.

I have 752.52 GB of photos to be stored in iCloud

The photo file is off to the left and I click on Store in iCloud

It's checked off for iCloud Photo Library.

This is what I have checked off in Photos.

I would like ALL my photos to be on iCloud but I feel like I'm missing a step. I did try logging in/out of my iCloud account on my laptop but it didn't do anything.

Any insight or support would be helpful. Thank you!

MacBook Air

Posted on Apr 12, 2021 3:39 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 12, 2021 3:59 PM

I'm not sure if the issue you are asking about is about your photos not being on iCloud or about them being on your Mac or both.

First, be aware that it can take a substantial amount of time (days) for over 700GB of photos to sync to iCloud. You can see the progress by opening the Photos app on your Mac, clicking Library of the left sidebar and then scrolling to the bottom of the main window.

Regarding the storage on your Mac, be aware that all of your photos will be on your Mac but may be space-saving versions if your Mac is low on space. See the following from Set up and use iCloud Photos - Apple Support

If you turn on Optimize Storage, iCloud Photos automatically manages the size of your library on your device. Your original photos and videos are stored in iCloud and space-saving versions are kept on your device. Your library is optimized only when you need space, starting with the photos and videos you access least. You can download the original photos and videos over Wi-Fi or cellular when you need them.

Apple does not currently offer cloud-only storage for photos. If that is what you want or need, you may want to explore 3rd party options such as Google Photos or Dropbox.

Similar questions

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 12, 2021 3:59 PM in response to abbyh

I'm not sure if the issue you are asking about is about your photos not being on iCloud or about them being on your Mac or both.

First, be aware that it can take a substantial amount of time (days) for over 700GB of photos to sync to iCloud. You can see the progress by opening the Photos app on your Mac, clicking Library of the left sidebar and then scrolling to the bottom of the main window.

Regarding the storage on your Mac, be aware that all of your photos will be on your Mac but may be space-saving versions if your Mac is low on space. See the following from Set up and use iCloud Photos - Apple Support

If you turn on Optimize Storage, iCloud Photos automatically manages the size of your library on your device. Your original photos and videos are stored in iCloud and space-saving versions are kept on your device. Your library is optimized only when you need space, starting with the photos and videos you access least. You can download the original photos and videos over Wi-Fi or cellular when you need them.

Apple does not currently offer cloud-only storage for photos. If that is what you want or need, you may want to explore 3rd party options such as Google Photos or Dropbox.

Apr 12, 2021 6:10 PM in response to abbyh

It may solve or help significantly with your storage issues. While it doesn't completely remove photos from your device, it can make a big difference.

Also, I haven't done it myself but Move your Photos library to save space on your Mac - Apple Support indicates that photos on an external drive can be synced to iCloud. See the last item (step 6) in the section titled "Move your Photos library to an external storage device"

Apr 12, 2021 5:59 PM in response to FoxFifth

Hi FoxFifth.

Thank you. You know, I was rushing out the door to my boys soccer and Little League practices that I didn't detail the actual issue. But thank you for your reply, explanation and ability to read between the lines.

I'll continue to let it add to the Cloud. Thanks for the links.

Dang, I was hoping this would solve my storage issues. I guess I'll go back to saving my Photos library on an external but I did like photos being accessible at anytime. I believe if I switch the location of the library then iCloud will not save my photos.

icloud photos

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.