Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

MacBook Pro 2017 (13", Four Thunderbolt 3 ports) screen flickering when opening lid

I recently bought a refurbished 2017 MacBook Pro with Touch Bar from eBay. A day after use, I noticed that the screen would flicker after opening. The problem would only occur for a couple of seconds. I tried a restart, SMC and PRAM reset, maintenance scripts, cache clearouts, latest OS upgrade, and other things. I do not want to spend $500 on a new screen. I do not want to send it back. Does anybody know what could be causing this problem? I personally think it's the flex cable. I would also like to know that if it is a flex cable issue than how much that would cost to fix.

Here are the exact specifications:

• 16 GB RAM
  • 512 GB SSD
  • 3.1 GHZ 7th Generation Core i5
  • macOS Big Sur 11.2.3
  • Iris Plus Graphics 650

Posted on Apr 12, 2021 4:20 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 13, 2021 5:18 PM

It looks like a bad Display Assembly. In order to fix it unfortunately requires replacing the whole Display Assembly. There is no cheap fix here since it is impossible to disassemble the Display Assembly. The Displays on the USB-C Macs are absolutely terrible.

Similar questions

3 replies

Apr 13, 2021 10:42 AM in response to cosimoaho

Hey there cosimoaho,

Thanks for reaching out to the Apple Support Communities. We understand you're having issues with the display on your MacBook Pro, and we'd be happy to get you pointed in the right direction.

To start, check out the steps listed in the following resource and see if any of the information here is able to help: If your Mac display doesn’t look right - Apple Support

If not, and based on the troubleshooting steps you've already tried, we'd recommend having the MacBook inspected further in person. Check out your local options for inspection and service here: Find Locations - Apple

After your MacBook has been inspected, and if service is required, the service location will be able to provide you with the best details on the cost of service.

We hope that's able to help.

Take care.

MacBook Pro 2017 (13", Four Thunderbolt 3 ports) screen flickering when opening lid

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.