Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I am trying to use. Memorex Writer for CD/ DVD since my 2019 iMac has none. How to install, had cd but can’t run , asks to get video-TS file but not highlighted-

My 2019 iMac doesn’t have a dvd writer so trying a Memorex which Mac tech said would work. Not too tech savvy! How to use, do I have to install?

iMac 21.5″, macOS 10.14

Posted on Apr 12, 2021 5:36 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 12, 2021 5:39 PM

Hi COJoanne,

CDs are old and dead technologies. They have not built in to iMacs for 12 years. You should transfer all your CD content to a computer, or other sorts of external media, such as SD cards, hard drives, etc.

Don't rely on CDs going into the future anymore.

If you are having trouble using the Memorex Writer for CD / DVD, contact the manufacturer, or return it and get the Apple USB SuperDrive - Apple.

Cheers,

Jack

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 12, 2021 5:39 PM in response to COJoanne

Hi COJoanne,

CDs are old and dead technologies. They have not built in to iMacs for 12 years. You should transfer all your CD content to a computer, or other sorts of external media, such as SD cards, hard drives, etc.

Don't rely on CDs going into the future anymore.

If you are having trouble using the Memorex Writer for CD / DVD, contact the manufacturer, or return it and get the Apple USB SuperDrive - Apple.

Cheers,

Jack

Apr 12, 2021 5:55 PM in response to COJoanne

First, does this Memorex run on a battery? I tried to google, but do not know which model you have. If it has a battery, you will not have enough power to burn any media. You need to get one that has its own power supply preferably. Some portable drives do not supply enough power without its own power supply, but you can go ahead and try it. The Apple ones are ok, but there are better third party models.

Second, there is nothing to install: you plug in the drive. Set your Findeer preferences to show external drives on the desktop. It will not show up on your desktop until you have inserted a CD or DVD. Aside from that, you will also need authoring software to actually burn a movie such as Roxio Toast. There is also a free app called "Burn" - very basic, but will do a simple job.

And yes, I still use DVDs to create, edit, and author movies - I then send those to family who prefer using DVDs. And I use them as well.

I am trying to use. Memorex Writer for CD/ DVD since my 2019 iMac has none. How to install, had cd but can’t run , asks to get video-TS file but not highlighted-

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.