Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iMac 2019; using external drive to burn cds; not working

My iMac doesn't come with CD burner or reader, so I have a Memorex DVD external burner.

I'm getting this message when I insert a disc to burn, I googled it but didn't get a clear resolution. Something about getting powered USB hub...?

Seems like it should work.

I worked fine on my old iMac 2011.

Any advice would be appreciated.

iMac 21.5″, macOS 10.15

Posted on Nov 22, 2021 5:35 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 22, 2021 7:48 PM

Absolutely not - you can get any drive; most are now compatible with both Mac and Windows. Personally, I like the ones OWC has to offer (an online Mac centric vendor):

https://eshop.macsales.com/shop/optical-drives/superdrives

I've had one of theirs for several years now; very reliable and it does have its own power supply.

Similar questions

6 replies

Nov 22, 2021 6:39 PM in response to lynda189

Could be that the external burner is not getting enough power from the USB port it is plugged into. Or do you have it plugged into a hub - that will not work (needs to be plugged in directly). I'd had an external burner for years, but it has its own power supply. I was not able to look up your burner model since there are too many showing up in a search - please post the exact model.

iMac 2019; using external drive to burn cds; not working

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.