Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Transfering information

I bought a new ssd drive for my 2012 MBP running Catalina whos internal drive was acting weird. I put the new ssd drive in an external case and plugged it into my MBP. I would like to transfer information from MBP drive to new drive before replacing existing MBP drive with new drive which is in external drive case mounted in finder. Is that possible? Migration Asst doesn't find anything!

Posted on Apr 13, 2021 7:09 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 13, 2021 7:49 AM

harcr wrote:

Yes the new drive is formatted. So how do I get the information on my internal drive onto the new drive in a case plugged into my MBP so I can take the new drive and swap with the existing internal drive. Make it simple because I don't understand technicalities. I'm not a computer person but I can open my MBP and replace Hard Drives.

I made it simple by posting a link above... you are saying you read it and you still do not understand (?)

Start by downloading Carbon Copy Cloner.

If your Mac is "user up-gradable" with a new internal HD/SSD you can format this new drive externally, and create a boot clone to this drive before removing and replacing your internal HD. This is a fast and easy process, and a simple enough procedure if you have the correct software...

Carbon Copy Cloner https://bombich.com/

Similar questions

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 13, 2021 7:49 AM in response to harcr

harcr wrote:

Yes the new drive is formatted. So how do I get the information on my internal drive onto the new drive in a case plugged into my MBP so I can take the new drive and swap with the existing internal drive. Make it simple because I don't understand technicalities. I'm not a computer person but I can open my MBP and replace Hard Drives.

I made it simple by posting a link above... you are saying you read it and you still do not understand (?)

Start by downloading Carbon Copy Cloner.

If your Mac is "user up-gradable" with a new internal HD/SSD you can format this new drive externally, and create a boot clone to this drive before removing and replacing your internal HD. This is a fast and easy process, and a simple enough procedure if you have the correct software...

Carbon Copy Cloner https://bombich.com/

Apr 13, 2021 7:31 AM in response to harcr

harcr wrote:

I bought a new ssd drive for my 2012 MBP running Catalina whos internal drive was acting weird. I put the new ssd drive in an external case and plugged it into my MBP. I would like to transfer information from MBP drive to new drive before replacing existing MBP drive with new drive which is in external drive case mounted in finder. Is that possible? Migration Asst doesn't find anything!

Did you format the new drive...?

— How to create a boot clone https://discussions.apple.com/docs/DOC-10081

Apr 13, 2021 7:40 AM in response to leroydouglas

Transfering information

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.